Meat Plant Slaughtered

0bserver

3 hours ago, mollag said:

Make it a D.O.I  Sheeps head butcher, take the brains out.😬

When I was a butcher's boy at Costain's on Bucks Road, there wasn't much wasted. The Majestic Hotel always had two large trays of skinned and split sheeps heads every week, eyes removed of course. I used to get some 'orrible jobs!

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

When I was a butcher's boy at Costain's on Bucks Road, there wasn't much wasted. The Majestic Hotel always had two large trays of skinned and split sheeps heads every week, eyes removed of course. I used to get some 'orrible jobs!

Just what delights did they become!

17 hours ago, Expat. said:

There was a tripe shop in Douglas when I were a lad. Round the back of the Town Hall. I used to get sent there for my grandfathers weekly portion. It was the single most horrendous foodstuff humanity has ever created. That and ox tongue.

Craine's pork shop? Harrison and Garretts bought it and moved the business to Strand Street

17 hours ago, Malik said:

Yeah, I’ve heard you chew it a lot and there’s no taste apart from the vinegar it’s doused in. Glad I’ve missed out on that. I quite like ox tongue.

My mum used to love the stuff. I only tried it once and swallowed the same piece about a dozen times...🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

Was that before Jimmy took over with the irresistible Muriel

6 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Craine's pork shop? Harrison and Garretts bought it and moved the business to Strand Street

It was Clagues, Craines was in Strand street, before that it was Grays,

There was/ is a tripe shop, corner of Finch road and Prospect hill 😉

Clague's tripe.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

March 1974

image.thumb.png.fc531ec5917a52f77df109df26f6ab4c.png

Though, as mentioned before, it was the corner of Nelson Street and Prospect Hill, not Finch Road.  A tripe shop opposite Tynwald Buildings would be too good to be true.

It was on the corner of Nelson Street and Church Street. Nelson Street and Prospect Hill was the card shop run  by a strange pair of twins. Between the two was Sara’s for Jaeger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mollag said:

It was Clagues, Craines was in Strand street, before that it was Grays,

There was/ is a tripe shop, corner of Finch road and Prospect hill 😉

Clague's tripe.jpg

I used to help and collect the tripe from there for Costains, along with jellied pigs trotters etc. Strange smell of it all boiling away, and sitting in big tin bath type things awaiting sale. YUK!

• Like 1