The end of local chat boards?

Asthehills

This question is perennial. As far as I know I've never been moderated. Surely a post has to be pretty stupid to be moderated.

The best thing about Manx Forums is that it is 'anonymous'. Some of the twattish things written on Facebook and Twitter take my breath away. 

Edited by AOR
typo
  • Like 7

It’s fairly lightly moderated I think. It’s only if stuff is potentially actionable, or when a pair of posters perpetually trade insults thereby ruining a thread, that moderators step in.

I don’t do Twitter much, but if you want real idiocy read the comments on Manx Radio’s Facebook posts. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Is there still a place for a local internet forum that is so heavily moderated in the world of Facebook and Twitter?

Yes. The boundaries are clearly expressed and when it wobbles then it seems to me that reasonable action appears to be taken. Its not draconian (bans) unless it needs to be. 

I don't use any other social media by choice after seeing the comments about it on here.  

As you were everyone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jarndyce said:

I can only assume that the poster has recently felt the chill breath of moderation on their neck…

That, and seen many posters disappear for what seems to be no real reason which results in a site which has very few active posters.

People can hide posters they don’t want to hear from and surely that’s a better option than a site that has no content or interaction?

1 minute ago, BriT said:

Too much moderation says poster whose entire activity on this forum seems to be to make unsubstantiated elaborate claims and start arguments. 

No they don't......😇😀

• Haha 1

@Asthehills you’ve only been here three months. You’re posting an average of 10 posts a day.

You seem to think it was worthwhile.

We really do moderate very lightly. 

Most of “banning” are the interminable spam posters who sign up and offer everything from erectile remedies to drugs, to false documents.

Very few posters get “disappeared”. Everyone is given lots of rope. Perhaps you’ve been around longer than your profile suggests?

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

@Asthehills you’ve only been here three months. You’re posting an average of 10 posts a day.

You seem to think it was worthwhile.

We really do moderate very lightly. 

Most of “banning” are the interminable spam posters who sign up and offer everything from erectile remedies to drugs, to false documents.

Very few posters get “disappeared”. Everyone is given lots of rope. Perhaps you’ve been around longer than your profile suggests?

How is anonymity and personal data handled on here these days John?

Does Invision give you access to everyone's data?

The big win for the forums over e.g. Twitter could be anonymous integrity. Unless you're a total prat, of course.

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How is anonymity and personal data handled on here these days John?

Does Invision give you access to everyone's data?

The big win for the forums over e.g. Twitter could be anonymous integrity. Unless you're a total prat, of course.

What data? A throwaway e-mail address, in most cases, at signup? And an IP address for any post?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rachomics said:

One word answer: mastodon

It makes me laugh all these people pushing Mastodon just because of Musks take over of Twitter. Nobody will even know what Mastodon is in 2 years time. Just like nobody knew what it was 6 months ago.

Not to mention that there is a lot more moderation and censorship on Mastodon where the instance/server managers can actually ban people from using their hardware if they don’t like what they post. It sounds more like Reddit where everyone builds their own little fiefdom and locks out anyone or anything they don’t like. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/12/joining-the-herd-whats-it-like-moving-from-twitter-to-mastodon

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1