The end of local chat boards?

Asthehills

13 minutes ago, BriT said:

If an old point. I had a look to see if this had been covered before.

That is a very different situation to what is being raised here.  Which is that people are restricted from posting for no apparent reason and with no warning (depending on who they are) and that many don’t bother coming back which will ultimately result in a forum with a very small number of people posting.

• Confused 1

I have never had anything close to a run-in with a mod.

There have been members who have been utter prats, and they tend to burn out and then fade away.  Other than those (some of course who may return in other guises) I like the skeet with everyone else.  I don't agree with everyone, and don't expect everyone to agree with me.

As most of you can see, I don't spend every waking minute here, either - which would not be good for my mental wellbeing, methinks.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

That is a very different situation to what is being raised here.  Which is that people are restricted from posting for no apparent reason and with no warning (depending on who they are) and that many don’t bother coming back which will ultimately result in a forum with a very small number of people posting.

And yet here you are...

I think people are more likely to be put off by having to wade through topics clogged up with a few posters having pointless and often personal rows with each other than the remote likelihood of being stopped posting for a short period.

And of course most people reading don't even bother to post.  There's currently about 150 reading but less than 30 logged in and even those that do may be infrequent posters.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Let’s be clear, for you, and others claiming discriminatory moderating, and that their suspension, or restriction, was for no apparent reason and with no warning, you’re in denial.

You either trolled, or were trolled and responded back and fro. 

You just need to re read the stuff you exchanged over mpg.  It was hard to distinguish who was most to blame, you or the other party. Truth doesn’t come into it. There’s no justification for the thread shitting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I have never had anything close to a run-in with a mod.

There have been members who have been utter prats, and they tend to burn out and then fade away.  Other than those (some of course who may return in other guises) I like the skeet with everyone else.  I don't agree with everyone, and don't expect everyone to agree with me.

As most of you can see, I don't spend every waking minute here, either - which would not be good for my mental wellbeing, methinks.

It is slightly ironic that posts stating people should spend less time here and have a bit of distance keep being lined (within minutes) by the same people 😂

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Let’s be clear, for you, and others claiming discriminatory moderating, and that their suspension, or restriction, was for no apparent reason and with no warning, you’re in denial.

You either trolled, or were trolled and responded back and fro. 

You just need to re read the stuff you exchanged over mpg.  It was hard to distinguish who was most to blame, you or the other party. Truth doesn’t come into it. There’s no justification for the thread shitting.

You previously stated people would be warned before a suspension?  Was there  a warning?

Should posters just back down when they are factually correct and let others abuse them?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

To be honest this is boring now. What extra privileges do you think you should have on here over and above anyone else that means that you shouldn’t be treated like everyone else. Especially when it seems to be you a good percentage of the time who deliberately winds other posters up. Rather than blaming the mod, maybe you should analyze your own behaviour? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You previously stated people would be warned before a suspension?  Was there  a warning?

Should posters just back down when they are factually correct and let others abuse them?

Should they back down?  Yes, any poster is an invitee, misbehave and your invitation is revoked.  Having been a mod for a very short time, I get the pressure the mods are under. This is not just from posters but the shit storm that can rain down if there is a really bad, say libellous, post.

Just man up, accept it is the price you pay for participating and learn. 

If you like the platform,  behave.  That is all,  it is not as though this is your only outlet.  If you don't like it go and start your own and be prepared for the whines, the legal threats and the police interest.  They have all happened 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Should they back down?  Yes, any poster is an invitee, misbehave and your invitation is revoked.  Having been a mod for a very short time, I get the pressure the mods are under. This is not just from posters but the shit storm that can rain down if there is a really bad, say libellous, post.

I am not talking about libellous or even contentious posts, I am talking about situations where someone is stating that  (for example) Alf is Chef minister and some other clown comes along and says “no he isn’t, prove it”

It’s factual, it can be shown to be factual, but the other poster accuses the person stating facts of making stuff up.  The person telling the truth gets restricted from posting for no reason and with no warning.

No wonder it’s a quiet “forum” with a tiny number of members.

• Haha 1