The end of local chat boards?

Asthehills

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am not talking about libellous or even contentious posts, I am talking about situations where someone is stating that  (for example) Alf is Chef minister and some other clown comes along and says “no he isn’t, prove it”

It’s factual, it can be shown to be factual, but the other poster accuses the person stating facts of making stuff up.  The person telling the truth gets restricted from posting for no reason and with no warning.

No wonder it’s a quiet “forum” with a tiny number of members.

If it was as simple as that, then why did you have to argue your truth? Were you able to provide factual confirmation or was it confirmation bias?

You may think your truth is exactly that, others may not agree if it is a truth based on an extrapolation of fact. 

Like I say, man up, look at your own style of posting and be sure something you  consider as fact is not your interpretation of facts which have led you to an opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

If it was as simple as that, then why did you have to argue your truth? Were you able to provide factual confirmation or was it confirmation bias?

You may think your truth is exactly that, others may not agree if it is a truth based on an extrapolation of fact. 

Like I say, man up, look at your own style of posting and be sure something you  consider as fact is not your interpretation of facts which have led you to an opinion. 

It’s not really relevant as I am trying to make a general point about why the site is so quiet.

But yes, if you want details I stated my car did a certain MPG.  Several posters called bullshit and accused me of making it up.  I backed it up with photos of the dashboard showing the MPG.  Got banned for no reason and with no warning.

No wonder people leave.

Lime I said the details aren’t important.  I was trying to explain why as a forum you/we lose a lot of potential members.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 4:32 PM, Asthehills said:

Is there still a place for a local internet forum that is so heavily moderated in the world of Facebook and Twitter?

Why don’t you just STFU you boring moaning cunt? You come on here you moaning argumentative bastard and then you whine like a big girl because someone has dared to stop you from posting. Just like you have whined before in various other guises when your general twattishness get you banned. You clearly think you’re so important that everyone has to listen to what you say no matter what. What an arrogant full of shit tosser you are who should just STFU and stop acting like a big girls blouse.

Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am trying to make a general point about why the site is so quiet.

Is it though? I think given the size of the population and the general tendency to avoid forums in general since FB/Twitter/Insta came along it's fairly healthy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boring As The Hills said:

Why don’t you just STFU you boring moaning cunt? You come on here you moaning argumentative bastard and then you whine like a big girl because someone has dared to stop you from posting. Just like you have whined before in various other guises when your general twattishness get you banned. You clearly think you’re so important that everyone has to listen to what you say no matter what. What an arrogant full of shit tosser you are who should just STFU and stop acting like a big girls blouse.

Thank you. 

Bit rude.

Reported 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

It’s not really relevant as I am trying to make a general point about why the site is so quiet.

But yes, if you want details I stated my car did a certain MPG.  Several posters called bullshit and accused me of making it up.  I backed it up with photos of the dashboard showing the MPG.  Got banned for no reason and with no warning.

No wonder people leave.

Lime I said the details aren’t important.  I was trying to explain why as a forum you/we lose a lot of potential members.

Unfortunately, the MPG you get on your car is not independently verifiable, even with a pic of your dashboard, like who the CM is. As I recall, it was a nothing debate that you stubbornly hung on to.  

It would have been better to say "OK, don't believe me, but there you go." And let it ride. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Is it though? I think given the size of the population and the general tendency to avoid forums in general since FB/Twitter/Insta came along it's fairly healthy.

It had been very quiet for the few days before I posted this.

Anyway, it looks like people are happy chatting to the same ten people day in day out and aren’t prepared to look at ways they could encourage more people  to participate.

Enjoy

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Should they back down?  Yes, any poster is an invitee, misbehave and your invitation is revoked.  Having been a mod for a very short time, I get the pressure the mods are under. This is not just from posters but the shit storm that can rain down if there is a really bad, say libellous, post.

Just man up, accept it is the price you pay for participating and learn. 

If you like the platform,  behave.  That is all,  it is not as though this is your only outlet.  If you don't like it go and start your own and be prepared for the whines, the legal threats and the police interest.  They have all happened 

Gladys 

Yes I accept all that. But I don’t accept that I misbehaved in the incident I described.

There was never the slightest chance of the police being involved, legal threats etc.

I was merely having a ( sometimes animated ) discussion , no profanities involved with another member about the implications of Brexit. The sort of thing that you would imagine a forum is for.

My sin seems to be that I interpreted the “get a room” comment from the moderator  ( who I didn’t know was writing as such _ perhaps they should declare when they are acting in that mode) as an innocent jocular comment rather than an admonishment.

Its also a bit peculiar as that phrase is jokingly used mainly towards  people are being overly amorous, either physically or conversationally with each other.

Yes being an unpaid moderator must be a difficult job with many pitfalls and I think we all appreciate the job that they do. But as I previously said they will get things wrong from time to time, misunderstandings occur and it’s not a sign of weakness to say sometimes “ Sorry I got that wrong one”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

My sin seems to be that I interpreted the “get a room” comment from the moderator  ( who I didn’t know was writing as such _ perhaps they should declare when they are acting in that mode) as an innocent jocular comment rather than an admonishment.

Get a room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5