The end of local chat boards?

Asthehills

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

The FB News and Politics page is very heavily moderated by a person who accepts no challenge and has a grossly inflated opinion of his own views and analytical capability.  I got banned for challenging his self-professed credentials. 

Perhaps  Gladys,   could the same be said of this site ? To date  I have not been banned on that site yet😉.

That said I do miss the contributions of many ( I hesitate to name them ) who  no longer post on this site and only look in from time to time out of idle curiosity .just saying

"Flowers" 

• Haha 1

To be honest the moderators are playing a really good game on this. Anyone else who moaned and thrashed so deliberately and consistently about the mods would have probably been banned ages ago for keeping up such an aggressive line of questioning against forum rules. So every comment continually made dilutes the whole purpose of this thread.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Says the poster who at the time actually stated my ban was harsh, but still can’t see why people get fed up of the over the top moderation 🤷‍♂️

If you think it's over the top, there are other places to go. It's a privately-run forum and they're under no obligation to conform to what you think is acceptable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Is it though? I think given the size of the population and the general tendency to avoid forums in general since FB/Twitter/Insta came along it's fairly healthy.

Or more to the point large 'chunks' of the population are old weirdos obsessed with outdated technology.

9 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Or more to the point large 'chunks' of the population are old weirdos obsessed with outdated technology.

That's me! 😀

I avoid Faceache and Twatter on account of the even huger numbers of con artists, spammers, deniers etc... Too much of a mine field to try and pick my way through. Can't be bovvered.

59 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

That's me! 😀

I avoid Faceache and Twatter on account of the even huger numbers of con artists, spammers, deniers etc... Too much of a mine field to try and pick my way through. Can't be bovvered.

It's a good point. You get to 'know' people a lot better on these forums. Although I have to say, some of the bile people come out with, usually in their own names, on Facebook and Twitter can be very surprising and without a gram of self-awareness and knowledge of currently accepted social attitudes,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

It's a good point. You get to 'know' people a lot better on these forums. Although I have to say, some of the bile people come out with, usually in their own names, on Facebook and Twitter can be very surprising and without a gram of self-awareness and knowledge of currently accepted social attitudes,

You mean not allowed to say it as it is - truth avoidance...

I can’t remember how long I have been posting on MF. It’s a while and I have not received any warnings or been banned. This despite having some strong opinions and once or twice been the target of abuse and ill-informed accusations professionally by posters who don’t know who I am or what I used to do. The key, of course is to moderate yourself; we all know where the lines in the sand are and, if we choose to step over, we can only blame ourselves, not the moderators.

Personally, I dip in and out but look in frequently, as I suspect many people do who criticise MF. It’s a discussion group though. Nobody is compelled to discuss anything or take anything said on board. It’s just talk and opinions. There is always a place for that. 

Edited by joebean
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, wrighty said:

You’re doing it now. See what I wrote previously. Move on. 

I will move on even given the lack of apology or any sign of contrition.

But  to quote the Greek philosopher Democritus (460 BC -370BC):-

” If thou sustain injustice, console thyself: the true unhappiness is with the perpetrator “

I shall say no more on the matter and consider it closed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1