New businesses to boost the economy

Asthehills

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The Crosby has a motorbike in the foyer

So do many places during TT.  It is quite amusing to see the obligatory bike go in the window of, say, a haberdashery just before TT. 

The monetisation of the TT 'brand' was not thought through very well.  As many pointed out, it belongs to the whole island, it is given its identity by the whole island  and is 'permitted', facilitated and perpetuated by the whole island. 

Yes, some protection, but really protect it for the island not from the island.  So, for example, I want to set up a TT themed eatery on the island, don't make me worry about having to pay royalties or get permission to use the logo, or even the name.  The event is ours not some amorphous department of government. 

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So do many places during TT.  It is quite amusing to see the obligatory bike go in the window of, say, a haberdashery just before TT. 

The monetisation of the TT 'brand' was not thought through very well.  As many pointed out, it belongs to the whole island, it is given its identity by the whole island  and is 'permitted', facilitated and perpetuated by the whole island. 

Yes, some protection, but really protect it for the island not from the island.  So, for example, I want to set up a TT themed eatery on the island, don't make me worry about having to pay royalties or get permission to use the logo, or even the name.  The event is ours not some amorphous department of government. 

It's there all the time though. 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I know, it is the other outlets that amuse.  But apart from a bike and a few pictures, what makes them a TT themed outlet? 

Nothing really. Although I have to say, what would constitute a true TT theme. 

We went to a campsite in fowey,  Cornwall.  Weirdly that was like a TT shrine. 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm amused that the USP of Karen's Diner is that the staff are rude to everyone? Not much unique about that on the IoM?

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/global-karens-chain-announces-isle-of-man-opening/?fbclid=IwAR3uIsCvC-2LlXaUz6BKHdryPhntifQTOvPldqM-W-UckSHykNOkNsHWe5k

"In a Facebook post, it says "don't accept the rip off - our lawyers won't either". Ouch

16 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

"In a Facebook post, it says "don't accept the rip off - our lawyers won't either". Ouch

Unfortunately, an ill-thought through initiative.  Shame really as it is a great concept and could have done it if they had had just a little advice first.  A change of just the name wouldn't have cut it, but coupled with another emphasis like the 'Manx Crab Cafe -we'll pull you back into our reality',  it may have worked.  

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Unfortunately, an ill-thought through initiative.  Shame really as it is a great concept and could have done it if they had had just a little advice first.  A change of just the name wouldn't have cut it, but coupled with another emphasis like the 'Manx Crab Cafe -we'll pull you back into our reality',  it may have worked.  

They didn't just steal the name they even took the promotional material including some of the photos.  Such cluelessness suggests coming up with an original, if parallel, concept would probably be beyond them.

That said, I'm a bit puzzled by the proposal of the original people as well.  I thought that the idea behind the franchise was that, though the service was surly, the food was good.  They seem to be relying on  "Decent food provided by the venue (we hope)", but I'm not sure that many people will want to cough up £30 for a burger and a brownie at the Masonic Hall, no matter how much you get insulted. 

Presumably their bringing over their own staff as recruiting any form of waiting-on staff (even aspiring actresses) isn't easy at the moment.  Especially on a six-month contract.  And January is hardly the best time to launch any sort of hospitality business.  Or in this case inhospitality. 

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

They didn't just steal the name they even took the promotional material including some of the photos.  Such cluelessness suggests coming up with an original, if parallel, concept would probably be beyond them.

That said, I'm a bit puzzled by the proposal of the original people as well.  I thought that the idea behind the franchise was that, though the service was surly, the food was good.  They seem to be relying on  "Decent food provided by the venue (we hope)", but I'm not sure that many people will want to cough up £30 for a burger and a brownie at the Masonic Hall, no matter how much you get insulted. 

Presumably their bringing over their own staff as recruiting any form of waiting-on staff (even aspiring actresses) isn't easy at the moment.  Especially on a six-month contract.  And January is hardly the best time to launch any sort of hospitality business.  Or in this case inhospitality. 

I suspect it was necessary to ensure success in a passing off claim for the original to at least come here. Let’s be honest, who of us had heard of it. The Manx Karen’s has given the original free publicity

FF53123A-430F-4F39-9D31-95ED4BFB591D.jpeg

• Like 1