Milking it again

CallMeCurious

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

I noted Tesco's 'Pilgrim Choice' cheese had increased 25p since last week.

I cannot help but feel that many are profiting quite handsomely under the guise of 'inflation' while others are genuinely suffering.

I agree but I think in layman's terms it's called financial arse covering! A lot of businesses are introducing price rises well ahead of raw material increases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

But the farmers aren’t getting all of rise as it does actually cost to get the milk from farmers into carton & to retailers/customers.

Milk has gone up 48% in Uk WTH cheese at 27% so not sure what the whining is about here 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63641414

Well UK milk's certainly going up at a higher rate than at any time in the last 50 years, according to the ONS today:

image.thumb.png.9a02a6ad4f4983f08d3f3701cd4572cc.png

Why it is so dramatic is less clear.  There has certainly been a sharp rise in agricultural inputs in the last few years.  And the wat in Ukraine has caused grain and hence cattle feed to increase in cost.  But that should have less effect in the Island because of the high percentage of grass-fed stock. 

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well UK milk's certainly going up at a higher rate than at any time in the last 50 years, according to the ONS today:

image.thumb.png.9a02a6ad4f4983f08d3f3701cd4572cc.png

Why it is so dramatic is less clear.  There has certainly been a sharp rise in agricultural inputs in the last few years.  And the wat in Ukraine has caused grain and hence cattle feed to increase in cost.  But that should have less effect in the Island because of the high percentage of grass-fed stock. 

Lots of grass-fed down in Devon and Cornwall and most other places I expect. Consider a farmer's costs - these have all gone up so there's no reason why milk shouldn't also go up: Fuel, vet, electricity, labour, tractor parts etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Lots of grass-fed down in Devon and Cornwall and most other places I expect. Consider a farmer's costs - these have all gone up so there's no reason why milk shouldn't also go up: Fuel, vet, electricity, labour, tractor parts etc.

Oh no one's saying that they shouldn't go up.  I'm just trying to work out why those costs have gone up so much - the article mentions 46% in 18 months.  Thtat's not reflected in other sectors.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Anyone actually missing Ramsey Bakery products? Is Laxey Flour Mills still going? 

Only products I miss are the French Toast, doorstop, sliced and the Mollenberg.

Tesco have started doing some really nice olive baps, and some of the bloomers, baked with things like olives, sun dried tomatoes, cranberries, sultanas and walnuts, are really good.

• Like 1