UK budget changes to be the same here?

Banker

8 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Ah, I presume you're talking about the Felicity Ace, where electric cars were on board and caught fire, but weren't positively identified as the cause ?

Wiki

image.thumb.png.c74984da8e5c3da89fffb993807d499c.png

Car transporter fires have been highlighted for years, and haven't suddenly started because of EVs.

image.png.353d1eab27b79ad9c5fa66e9a9f4db28.png

it won't take for ever until there isn't an excuse for it not to have been the battery that started things.

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

I think it may take some time to retrieve the ship to establish the cause of the fire, as it's 3000 metres down. You any good at diving and accident investigation ?

i meant for another event  that happens , not all evidence of lipo batteries causing big fires will get buried under 3k of water.

19 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Ah, I presume you're talking about the Felicity Ace, where electric cars were on board and caught fire, but weren't positively identified as the cause ?

Wiki

Car transporter fires have been highlighted for years, and haven't suddenly started because of EVs.

It’ll be ages before the relevant Marine Investigation Branch of the country of registry issues a final report. And yes, there have been lots of transporter losses, but whilst source of initial fire isn’t yet confirmed it’s my understanding that

a. All vehicles on board were brand new.

b. The fire was unable to be controlled because of the batteries going on fire.

In that context it’s a “catastrophe on that scale” contributed to, or exacerbated by, EV, even if not caused by.

And it won’t need diving to 3000m and retrieving, or sending down drones. 

There will have been CCTV monitoring. Bridge crew should have been able to watch before they abandoned ship. That’s first hand evidence of source.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’ll be ages before the relevant Marine Investigation Branch of the country of registry issues a final report. And yes, there have been lots of transporter losses, but whilst source of initial fire isn’t yet confirmed it’s my understanding that

a. All vehicles on board were brand new.

b. The fire was unable to be controlled because of the batteries going on fire.

In that context it’s a “catastrophe on that scale” contributed to, or exacerbated by, EV, even if not caused by.

And it won’t need diving to 3000m and retrieving, or sending down drones. 

There will have been CCTV monitoring. Bridge crew should have been able to watch before they abandoned ship. That’s first hand evidence of source.

Not quite. 

The "CCTV monitoring" comment is a bit reminiscent of the famous "Watertight Smith" who queried why the passengers of the Titanic didn't simply get into the watertight compartments (that also went to the bottom of the ocean). The voice recordings on the voyage data recorder went to the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the ship, and there are no plans to recover them.

There's no commentary on whether the fire was unable to be controlled because of the EVs on board - interested in your source for that ?

Flippant comments aside, EVs certainly present challenges for Ro-Ros because of the geometry of the ferry - large open spaces with combustable materials. It's a challenge that needs to be overcome.

33 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Wiki

Whether an EV caused the fire or not is irrelevant. Petrol and diesel cars are shipped with minimal fuel and oil, etc. Can't do that with EVs. Ten EVs lined up next to each other, if there is a totally unrelated fire and onebof those EVs goes up, all ten will go up and make Funchal on New Year's Eve look like indoor fireworks. 

6 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Whether an EV caused the fire or not is irrelevant. Petrol and diesel cars are shipped with minimal fuel and oil, etc. Can't do that with EVs. Ten EVs lined up next to each other, if there is a totally unrelated fire and onebof those EVs goes up, all ten will go up and make Funchal on New Year's Eve look like indoor fireworks. 

Not true though, They don't explode like petrol tankers, they burn slowly for a long interval. As previously noted, petrol cars have already caused a number of vehicle transporters to go on fire and sink, so it's not a new deal.

Regarding the Felicity Ace sinking, it's worth pointing out that it sank about a week after the fire was extinguished.  There's a recent Popular Mechanics article discussing a number of topics around the sinking and these giant cargo ships.

And no one died in the fire, unlike the ten who died in a petrol station explosion in Donegal last month.

48 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Not quite. 

The "CCTV monitoring" comment is a bit reminiscent of the famous "Watertight Smith" who queried why the passengers of the Titanic didn't simply get into the watertight compartments (that also went to the bottom of the ocean). The voice recordings on the voyage data recorder went to the bottom of the ocean with the rest of the ship, and there are no plans to recover them.

There's no commentary on whether the fire was unable to be controlled because of the EVs on board - interested in your source for that ?

Flippant comments aside, EVs certainly present challenges for Ro-Ros because of the geometry of the ferry - large open spaces with combustable materials. It's a challenge that needs to be overcome.

I do wish you’d read what I’d written. I made no suggestion of recovery. Before evacuation the crew had time to look at CCTV and other metrics, and indeed would have needed to do so to establish seat of fire and deployment of fire fighting other than any automatic systems.

Those super large carriers are computer load planned for trim.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I do wish you’d read what I’d written. I made no suggestion of recovery. Before evacuation the crew had time to look at CCTV and other metrics, and indeed would have needed to do so to establish seat of fire and deployment of fire fighting other than any automatic systems.

Those super large carriers are computer load planned for trim.

It's a past event. The crew were interviewed, no attribution of the fire to EV batteries was established.