plans to spend millions destroying the ambience of Douglas promenade

Omobono

is anyone else concerned at the proposed plans by the DOI  for Douglas promenade , which in my opinion are both  ugly  damaging to the marine environment  and will destroy the whole ambience  of the north end of the bay which has remained  the same for over 100 years , surely there is a better solution than filling the north end of the promenade with huge rocks ,  destroy the habitat and only collect tons of seaweed    to   rot and stink ,  I wonder if it had been the inspiration of the same design team responsible for the rest of the awful promenade works ,and why such a radical and expensive solution is being proposed , and why   anyone out here with any  answers ?

22 minutes ago, Omobono said:

is anyone else concerned at the proposed plans by the DOI  for Douglas promenade , which in my opinion are both  ugly  damaging to the marine environment  and will destroy the whole ambience  of the north end of the bay which has remained  the same for over 100 years , surely there is a better solution than filling the north end of the promenade with huge rocks ,  destroy the habitat and only collect tons of seaweed    to   rot and stink ,  I wonder if it had been the inspiration of the same design team responsible for the rest of the awful promenade works ,and why such a radical and expensive solution is being proposed , and why   anyone out here with any  answers ?

Linky thing...

59 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Linky thing...

Here's yesterday's press release.

Unlike previous consultations, the information is on display for quite a long time, the usual process was for a couple of days at the Sea Terminal (working hours only) with someone from the DoI there to tell you what to think.

Edited to add: Pre-Thomas this was being advertised as just being about the walkway, but I notice it's about the whole Prom and its relation to the sea and "creating pedestrian crossings" is now included.  So this may be the start of undoing the the mess they created at vast expense.

Edited by Roger Mexico

40 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Here's yesterday's press release.

Unlike previous consultations, the information is on display for quite a long time, the usual process was for a couple of days at the Sea Terminal (working hours only) with someone from the DoI there to tell you what to think.

Edited to add: Pre-Thomas this was being advertised as just being about the walkway, but I notice it's about the whole Prom and its relation to the sea and "creating pedestrian crossings" is now included.  So this may be the start of undoing the the mess they created at vast expense.

"The displays are a collaborative exercise between the Department of Infrastructure and Douglas Borough Council" - that sentence alone should be enough to frighten you. Two units who couldn't find their arses with both hands

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I very much doubt that. Knob heads have looked at Peel with its solid wall and rock facing at the north end and thought we'l have some of that. Not a thought of what works for one site may not work for another. Peel has not the massive problem of kelp and nobody has fucked about with the well thought out and built breakwater. Unlike Douglas which believed what a bunch of snake oil salesmen told them they needed in the 80's, at great expense to the Island. Nothing changes, a bunch of incompetent pricks and not their  money are soon parted. Liverpool landing dock anyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I very much doubt that. Knob heads have looked at Peel with its solid wall and rock facing at the north end and thought we'l have some of that. Not a thought of what works for one site may not work for another. Peel has not the massive problem of kelp and nobody has fucked about with the well thought out and built breakwater. Unlike Douglas which believed what a bunch of snake oil salesmen told them they needed in the 80's, at great expense to the Island. Nothing changes, a bunch of incompetent pricks and not their  money are soon parted. Liverpool landing dock anyone.

Not sure what you are alluding to here... :whistling:

Play areas: Love the blue sunny skies.  The other 11 months of the year it'll be horizontal rain, sleet, rain and grey skies and seagulls perching on it.

Pretty soon it'll be closed for re-painting, deep cleaning and repairs. As usual bought from a catalogue and the 'designer' has probably never even set foot on the island. 

Ever notice how there is never a name attributed to who designed it or how it was procured.

Wonder when the first rescue will happen when some poor soul gets caught out by the tide for foolishly trying to walk along the northern end. Pretty soon the bulldozers will be clearing seaweed year round.

54 minutes ago, snowman said:

Might look nice until it gets flooded.

While they're at it the trams should not be in the middle of the road. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Edit to add. Isn't there already a thread on the Douglas prom subject 

Is the trams being an accident waiting to happen like the roundels being an accident waiting to happen?  Ie, how long will we be waiting?  Lots of moaning about nothing even though idiots still insist on using them like roundabouts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1