plans to spend millions destroying the ambience of Douglas promenade

Omobono

To my mind the question is, why didn't they just make them regulation roundabouts from the word "go"? A regulation arrangement that everybody (well, most) understands and are familiar with and which is proven to work efficiently everywhere else.

Why rip up that rule book and replace it with nondescript arrangements that even the authorities couldn't agree on and gave conflicting advice about and which continue to cause confusion to many users?

Precisely what is the advantage of the roundels when it comes to ensuring that moving traffic is dealt with efficiently, over a normal roundabout?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

To my mind the question is, why didn't they just make them regulation roundabouts from the word "go"? A regulation arrangement that everybody (well, most) understands and are familiar with and which is proven to work efficiently everywhere else.

Why rip up that rule book and replace it with nondescript arrangements that even the authorities couldn't agree on and gave conflicting advice about and which continue to cause confusion to many users?

Precisely what is the advantage of the roundels when it comes to ensuring that moving traffic is dealt with efficiently, over a normal roundabout?

Yes,  that certainly would have been the most sensible option. I rarely go to Douglas these days mainly due to the confusion when using the promenade route, roundels, crossing that blend into area and what is the speed limit l think it's 20MPH as its not very clear on entering 20mph zone and then no warning of increase of 30 Mph zones. 

I use the beach daily for walking as many other people do starting from summer hill to passed Tower House but the seaweed is making it almost impossible especially Summer Hill end. I regularly see the tractor throughout the summer clearing the square of beach basically near Sefton to War memorial area just piles it up to go back into the sea. I have also witnessed over the last few years the sand rising almost to the walkway level in some places with no intervention to solve this. 

I understand we have to have progress, however, doesn't that mean we have to solve the problems we already have before we smooth over the cracks. 

I know it's a very simple ask l just would like to use the promenade road and the beach without all the obstacles. And finally that awful bright lighted screen you can see from miles away and whilst driving passing sea terminal is distracting. Come on Douglas I'm sure you can do much better than this!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yes,  that certainly would have been the most sensible option. I rarely go to Douglas these days mainly due to the confusion when using the promenade route, roundels, crossing that blend into area and what is the speed limit l think it's 20MPH as its not very clear on entering 20mph zone and then no warning of increase of 30 Mph zones. 

I use the beach daily for walking as many other people do starting from summer hill to passed Tower House but the seaweed is making it almost impossible especially Summer Hill end. I regularly see the tractor throughout the summer clearing the square of beach basically near Sefton to War memorial area just piles it up to go back into the sea. I have also witnessed over the last few years the sand rising almost to the walkway level in some places with no intervention to solve this. 

I understand we have to have progress, however, doesn't that mean we have to solve the problems we already have before we smooth over the cracks. 

I know it's a very simple ask l just would like to use the promenade road and the beach without all the obstacles. And finally that awful bright lighted screen you can see from miles away and whilst driving passing sea terminal is distracting. Come on Douglas I'm sure you can do much better than this!

This is actually intentional - the design of them is supposed to filter out luddites who drive bangers that leak oil everywhere and don't spend any money in town anyway.

Edited by Mercenary
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

This is actually intentional - the design of them is supposed to filter out luddites who drive bangers that leak oil everywhere and don't spend any money in town anyway.

I don't know anyone who drives an old banger that leaks oil. 

Last time l did go to Douglas to shop l caught the bus, although it is sometime ago l must admit.

Luddites is l suppose meant to explain a dislike of technology, l'm not quite sure which part of my post you are referring to?  But thank you for your reply.

Lilly

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AOR said:

It's all one big Douglas Promenade scheme. So all part of the same system. And there are 4 or 5 different crossings in use. 

The whole layout of the prom is just shite. It depresses me every time I chug down there at 20mph to never find a park ever how so-called professional people got paid to deliver such a piece of total shit with public money. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Electronic signs have appeared by the Broadway roundel. I hope they have bought marine spec ones this time

Same as the one at Pulrose Bridge I think they’re appearing all of a sudden after Alf went to Bahrain. Perhaps they’re all lined up to project images of our ‘Beloved Leader’ to us to just reinforce who is boss in the kleptocratic benign dictatorship we all live in. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lilly said:

I don't know anyone who drives an old banger that leaks oil. 

Last time l did go to Douglas to shop l caught the bus, although it is sometime ago l must admit.

Luddites is l suppose meant to explain a dislike of technology, l'm not quite sure which part of my post you are referring to?  But thank you for your reply.

Lilly

Don't worry. You are not alone in being confused by that post. 

Unmarked junctions seem to work everywhere else, including central London. Maybe it's just us yokels who need to be told and guided in what to do about everything? 

There was a lot of hooting about the rondels when they were first laid down, they have been operating without any trouble for some time now, I know of no issues other than continuous pointless whinging?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Unmarked junctions seem to work everywhere else, including central London. Maybe it's just us yokels who need to be told and guided in what to do about everything? 

There was a lot of hooting about the rondels when they were first laid down, they have been operating without any trouble for some time now, I know of no issues other than continuous pointless whinging?

Maybe the DOI have copied the Qatar's and all the bodies have been hidden!

Towards the start of this thread I posted a link to Gef's article on this subject (https://gef.im/2022/11/17/our-hopes-for-prom/) . When I looked at the supposed photos of the plan, I thought that Gef must have totally lost his mongoose marbles  and posted the wrong images.

There are only two photos of the promenade:

The first shows a seating area covered in green slime, with stealth UFOs flying above, and industrial barriers and lost road cones in the background.

The second show a memorial to dead soldiers, with a background of industrial barriers. There is also a smaller image of a memorial to David Kewley, but I am confused about the relevance of this.

The other images are a kids-level-photoshop complete fantasy and cannot be anything to do with Douglas promenade.

Maybe it is me. Maybe I cannot understand grand concepts. Perhaps I am unable to understand the meaning of art.

But I think that a sensory garden (if they can find the space to install it) is going to get the crap knocked out of it every time there is a storm.