smart meters

Hoops

A quick question. We're pre-paid on the new smart meters, and have seen a doubling in the amount we are spending on electricity, as have our neighbours. MUA disinterested, blaming general price rises, but there hasn't been one in the few weeks we've had it installed. Anyone else having a similar experience?

24 minutes ago, Hoops said:

A quick question. We're pre-paid on the new smart meters, and have seen a doubling in the amount we are spending on electricity, as have our neighbours. MUA disinterested, blaming general price rises, but there hasn't been one in the few weeks we've had it installed. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Isn’t it darker and colder than it was a few weeks ago?  Would that kit account for an increase?  I know our usage is up as the lights are on a lot more.

(unless you are talking about more money for the same number of units, in which case I have no idea)

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Isn’t it darker and colder than it was a few weeks ago?  Would that kit account for an increase?  I know our usage is up as the lights are on a lot more.

(unless you are talking about more money for the same number of units, in which case I have no idea)

Will account for a bit, but not a doubling. And our daughter has been away bit, which should be saving us heaps...

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

I suspect the whole point of installing smart meters is to eek more money out of us or why else would they bother?

They are bothering because they can no longer get spares for the old ones.  They can also no longer get a supply of the old ones for new builds.  So they have no option if they want to maintain service to people than to get with the times and move to smart meters.

Probably not the conspiracy theory you wants to hear, but factual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Do you want to offer him a suggestion as to why his bills seem to have gone up before you start pointlessly arguing with him like you do everyone else? 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BriT said:

Do you want to offer him a suggestion as to why his bills seem to have gone up before you start pointlessly arguing with him like you do everyone else? 

I did.  It’s darker, people use more electric.

Since when was giving a factual answer to a post that was just a load of bollocks “pointlessly arguing”?  That answer was to a different poster anyway.  Have you been in the pub?

Go and meet the guys who work there and ask them why they are going to the hassle and expense of changing everyone’s meter.  It’s not because they want to, it’s for the reasons I stated in my post.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

They are bothering because they can no longer get spares for the old ones.  They can also no longer get a supply of the old ones for new builds.  So they have no option if they want to maintain service to people than to get with the times and move to smart meters.

And how is moving to variable tariffs depending on the time of day a conspiracy theory?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I have seen some postings on another site from a guy who works for an electrical company in the UK. His advice was not to get these smart meters. Can't remember the exact reasons but he was adamant it would see people worse off. 

You get a choice?! Interesting though, there is no reason why the cost has doubled for us in terms of the electricity we're using, neighbours say the same.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hoops said:

You get a choice?! Interesting though, there is no reason why the cost has doubled for us in terms of the electricity we're using, neighbours say the same.

I'll try and find the post. Like I say he worked for an English firm so may be different but he was advising people to stay away from them

• Like 2

I say welcome to the new normal for many. Huddling in dimly-lit rooms desperately trying to keep bills for lighting and heating from going stratospheric.

This is what the new energy costs will mean.