Isle of Man Newspapers Awards for Excellence

Manx Bean

Interesting comments on here. Does everyone realise that a business has to apply themselves and  submit an application to be considered in all major categories? They don’t get nominated by the public etc. But let’s be clear, that’s no different to every other industry/location award process I’ve been been involved with in the private sector for 11 years. It’s all about brand building and marketing. And yes- you apply and buy a table or tickets and have a nice evening - often inviting the team from your business as a nice little night out to say thank you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Some interesting nominees in the start up category, Manx cares mcals service was nominated.  Is that really a startup?  Isn't it just another service within Manx care?

I thought it was the Manx Cares …… Who Cares? Revamped Complaints Service? Creating another Manx mini empire, still complaints are a growth industry, so it should be successful.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I have seen first hand the care Hospcie IOM give. I know what they do.

What makes you think that I haven’t?

11 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There are other charities that do not get the same level of attention, who deserve it. 

I agree - if you look again, my comment agrees with this.   Just not sure why you feel that Hospice DON’T deserve it, which is what you are circling around.

3 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Interesting comments on here. Does everyone realise that a business has to apply themselves and  submit an application to be considered in all major categories? They don’t get nominated by the public etc. But let’s be clear, that’s no different to every other industry/location award process I’ve been been involved with in the private sector for 11 years. It’s all about brand building and marketing. And yes- you apply and buy a table or tickets and have a nice evening - often inviting the team from your business as a nice little night out to say thank you. 

Exactly.  You see it a lot in the finance industry.  It's just marketing.

"We won the best banana award", which as you've noted and if you're cynically aware of how it works, then you just see self congratulatory auto fellatio.  Then you realise that if they could auto fellate then you probably would also have been told about it. 

Do Charities nominate themselves and buy tables too?  That bit does seem a bit conflicted. 

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Exactly.  You see it a lot in the finance industry.  It's just marketing.

"We won the best banana award", which as you've noted and if you're cynically aware of how it works, then you just see self congratulatory auto fellatio.  Then you realise that if they could auto fellate then you probably would also have been told about it. 

Do Charities nominate themselves and buy tables too?  That bit does seem a bit conflicted. 

Not sure. 

6 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

But who are they marketing to?  Where are they building their brand?  I can sort of see the point in particular industry shindigs where people gather from across the UK and network and catch-up and so on.  But this is the Isle of Man, these people will all know or know of each other.  Contacts are frequent, whether at other events, the gym or the veg aisle in Tesco.  It all has a rather ritual feel, going through the motions because that's what businesses do.  And I suspect at least half the people there would prefer it if the money was spent on treating them in some more relaxed way.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But who are they marketing to?  Where are they building their brand?  I can sort of see the point in particular industry shindigs where people gather from across the UK and network and catch-up and so on.  But this is the Isle of Man, these people will all know or know of each other.  Contacts are frequent, whether at other events, the gym or the veg aisle in Tesco.  It all has a rather ritual feel, going through the motions because that's what businesses do.  And I suspect at least half the people there would prefer it if the money was spent on treating them in some more relaxed way.

You can still build a local brand and often these things can help. You may not like it or agree, but I believe it can be a positive thing for a business that wins or gets nominated - and markets that as positive.