Isle of Man Newspapers Awards for Excellence

Manx Bean

25 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

You can still build a local brand and often these things can help. You may not like it or agree, but I believe it can be a positive thing for a business that wins or gets nominated - and markets that as positive. 

For a business (or Charity) that provides services to local residents then sure. 

However for example, the CEO of a CSP won some sort of Woman of the Year award.  That CSP will not provide any services to any locals unless they happen to be a HNW that moved over here after engaging with them.  So for them and any other (generally financial) business that provides 99% of it's services internationally I honestly can't see any point in an IOM Award.  Who is going to care about that apart from someone on the Island? 

14 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I would never use a business or tradesman if they hadn't been recommended by a friend or relative, so no need for branding, awards for excellence or any other bullshit.

I've always thought that the Island needs some sort of 'Rate my Tradie' website or app. 

Really tricky to get hold of any tradesmen nowadays unless you're doing a £150k extension.  The few that are available then unsurprisingly turn out to be cowboys. 

Well, I've just had a massive hedge removed, recommended trader, brilliant job, fellas worked really hard and price was most satisfactory.  Recommended by people who had used them before.

I always just put the word out and someone comes up with a name based on good experience of their work.

Never liked, 'Rate my Tradie', sites. Too easily manipulated IMO.

• Like 4

In brief, awards and the accompanying dinners/events/presentations are put on for the sole benefit of generating revenue for the organisers of said awards. Usually a nice little sideline for the hard-pressed print media.

They are usually free to enter, so are attractive to companies, charities and individuals who are seeking exposure or credit for their respective activities over a period of time.

There's usually a headline sponsor - £££

Each award category will likely be sponsored - £££

The more categories the higher the £££

The awards dinner will have individual aspects offered for sponsorship - £££

Corporates will buy a table for 8-10 people at a likely £1000+ for their mates (clients) and (select) staff to attend the event - £££

Given the above it doesn't matter if the general public aren't really arsed about the event and don't pay for a ticket to attend. It's not really for them anyway.

Organiser makes money. A handful of people get to collect a trophy and have their photo taken. Most entrants lose. Organiser still happy.

10 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

Interesting comments on here. Does everyone realise that a business has to apply themselves and  submit an application to be considered in all major categories? They don’t get nominated by the public etc. But let’s be clear, that’s no different to every other industry/location award process I’ve been been involved with in the private sector for 11 years. It’s all about brand building and marketing. And yes- you apply and buy a table or tickets and have a nice evening - often inviting the team from your business as a nice little night out to say thank you. 

For the private sector that makes sense, but for manxcare to apply for a complaints line to be nominated in the  startup category is absurd.

Manxcare seem to be collecting as many accolades as they can whilst failing to deliver an adequate service.

Is Manx care and sme or startup? No.

Screenshot_2022-11-21-13-19-17-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.53b9685b351e204723a92c79f191c419.jpg

8 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Just a shame it took another part of Manx Care over two fucking months to send out appointment letters…

MCALs is one of those great self-generating customer business. We’ve been set up by a shit business to manage the shit service it gives to its ‘service users’ so its grown (or ‘scaled up’) really quickly the shitter our main service becomes and consequently the more often people have to call the service to negotiate shit service.