Isle of Man Newspapers Awards for Excellence

Manx Bean

When I saw the word 'Excellence' in the Award's name, I wondered why the Constabulary doesn't fare much better in them.

Media reports indicate they must have many satisfied customers, judging by the loads of repeat business they seem to get.  In our adversarial judicial process, even defence advocates acknowledge the police's outstanding crime solving capabilities, because everyone gets caught first time round according to them.  Job satisfaction in the police must be at an all time high, as all I seem to see these days is images of them eating ice creams somewhere, and generally enjoying themselves.    Deserving of an entry in the Best Business Guide really.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mysteron said:

When I saw the word 'Excellence' in the Award's name, I wondered why the Constabulary doesn't fare much better in them.

Media reports indicate they must have many satisfied customers, judging by the loads of repeat business they seem to get.  In our adversarial judicial process, even defence advocates acknowledge the police's outstanding crime solving capabilities, because everyone gets caught first time round according to them.  Job satisfaction in the police must be at an all time high, as all I seem to see these days is images of them eating ice creams somewhere, and generally enjoying themselves.    Deserving of an entry in the Best Business Guide really.

Idiot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mysteron said:

Application rejected was it? Not to worry sure you can try again next year

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mysteron said:

On the contrary, the Isle of Man Constabulary are such experts in the national sport of self-congratulation that they have their own dedicated awards ceremony with extensive coverage in the media and a long section in the Chief Constable's Annual Report.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Application rejected was it? Not to worry sure you can try again next year

Ahhhh I see, you mean their application to be a police person rather than an award for being excellent? I thought the post was quite funny and pretty much, spot on.

While we're talking about the police, the other day I saw a police van at the drive through in MacDonalds, I'm not really comfortable with that. Are they paying for the fuel that's being wasted while they're in the queue? What if they spill drinks/food in the van, are they going to clean it and during whose time? What are the insurance implication's? Policy wording includes "use of vehicle while on police business or getting a take out"... Macdonalds food stinks too, it's not very respectable to turn up to a call in a van stinking of pickled gerkins and mustard, with tomato sauce and mayo dripping off your face, is it?   

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Ahhhh I see, you mean their application to be a police person rather than an award for being excellent? I thought the post was quite funny and pretty much, spot on.

While we're talking about the police, the other day I saw a police van at the drive through in MacDonalds, I'm not really comfortable with that. Are they paying for the fuel that's being wasted while they're in the queue? What if they spill drinks/food in the van, are they going to clean it and during whose time? What are the insurance implication's? Policy wording includes "use of vehicle while on police business or getting a take out"... Macdonalds food stinks too, it's not very respectable to turn up to a call in a van stinking of pickled gerkins and mustard, with tomato sauce and mayo dripping off your face, is it?   

Not my problem. Maybe give the police station a call and raise your issue with them but before you do and it may surprise but I'll let you in on a secret. Police officers need to eat as well.

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

MCALs is one of those great self-generating customer business. We’ve been set up by a shit business to manage the shit service it gives to its ‘service users’ so its grown (or ‘scaled up’) really quickly the shitter our main service becomes and consequently the more often people have to call the service to negotiate shit service. 

Had good experiences of MCALs. Prompt return of call or email with information requested. I haven't tried it yet with finding out where on the lists for appointment or referrals but I assume people can go to them instead of having to struggle or hanging on the end of a phone trying to get through to a medical secretary etc. 

Edited by Apple
last bit