Railway Cuts

0bserver

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well it was fantastic views going to Ballasalla until we allowed Dandara to blight the countryside !

Turned out really well this, lots of green fields destroyed, Dr's unable to cope, no new school places, no increase in any infrastructure at all. Houses rented, young people can't afford them, and an unneeded bypass cheerleaded by a then MHK who had had a bypass of his own ! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

How many of "us" actually had a say in it?

And if there had been thousands of objecting voices, would they have been heeded or listened to in any way?

Democracy tends to fly out the window when there's big money involved, there's also the matter of Dandara's conduct about a year ago in respect of those who'd paid their deposits on the development and what that indicated about their attitude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

So, a review into the worth of the heritage railways could be on the stocks. Although if they take as much notice if it as they did for the SAVE initiative it doesn't auger well...

Screenshot_20230404-133950_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Give it over to enthusiasts to run, with an annual grant to help, some people would love to be more hands on and play the fat controller (unless he stays there, mentioning no names).

Realistically, that's the only way forward. I've been saying that for years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Give it over to enthusiasts to run, with an annual grant to help, some people would love to be more hands on and play the fat controller (unless he stays there, mentioning no names).

The thing is whilst the idea is good I doubt it will work in practice, especially if the civil service and politicians are denied an opportunity to interfere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lightening McQueen said:

Then what happens when said enthusiasts get bored or move on?

47 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Then what happens when said enthusiasts get bored or move on?

Or make a poorly-trained mistake that results in deaths ? "Sorry m'lud, I'm just a volunteer on me Sundays off". Needs a lot more governance than a few spanners with some spanners.

It should be all based on the numbers. If it doesn't add up, get rid and sell it.

Or move it all to a transport theme park up at Jurby, let the diminishing population of trainspotters and vintage enthusiasts drive the trams and engines, poke the old carriages, motorcycles, planes and trains in the museum, buy tacky souvenirs and have a pint of mild in the tramshunter's rest. Use the infrastructure for something else - motorcycles, ebikes, cycles, whatever.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Or make a poorly-trained mistake that results in deaths ? "Sorry m'lud, I'm just a volunteer on me Sundays off". Needs a lot more governance than a few spanners with some spanners.

It should be all based on the numbers. If it doesn't add up, get rid and sell it.

Or move it all to a transport theme park up at Jurby, let the diminishing population of trainspotters and vintage enthusiasts drive the trams and engines, poke the old carriages, motorcycles, planes and trains in the museum, buy tacky souvenirs and have a pint of mild in the tramshunter's rest. Use the infrastructure for something else - motorcycles, ebikes, cycles, whatever.

They should have done the same with the horse trams

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ativa said:

You close it

Excellent Einstein, then what do you do with all the abandoned track/trains/trams and so on and so forth?

I'd prefer TB's suggestion. Utilise Jurby airfield for a "bygone days" travel theme park. They have the transport museum up there so why not add all the additional rides. As TB says, turn the routes into cycle trails/walkways

45 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Heritage railways are well run over here by volunteers.

I wonder how much the report that will say the same as the last one will cost? I've never known an organisation so keen on employing consultants 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Heritage railways are well run over here by volunteers.

I wonder how much the report that will say the same as the last one will cost? I've never known an organisation so keen on employing consultants 

True, but lots of the heritage railways are struggling for volunteers these days, as the older demographic are dying off. Even a small operation needs a lot of money and volunteers to run, and the younger generations aren't interested.

• Like 4