Railway Cuts

0bserver

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Heritage railways are well run over here by volunteers.

Some are well-run, some are not, and the big and successful ones (NYMR, Severn Valley, etc) aren’t run by volunteers, they’re run by professional staff. The volunteers might get to play trains a bit, but the business/charity is run by professionals.

The Rail Accident Investigation Board have also had quite a few things to say about some of those railways’ operations in recent times.

20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wonder how much the report that will say the same as the last one will cost? I've never known an organisation so keen on employing consultants

Alfie C loves to keep his consultants’ bread buttered.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Heritage society with some government help. Link it to their performance in attracting visitors.

I'd rather have the cash spent on quality healthcare.

Money won't buy you quality healthcare, the DHSS can swallow as much money as you can throw at it and not improve one iota!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, forestboy said:

They MUST be. 

I do not know which body investigates rail accidents here, but it is not the RAIB. The RAIB publishes all their reports. Some reports get published here, but not all. I have been refused sight to an accident report where someone was permanently injured,

It has been a few years since I worked on the MER, but I doubt there has been any significant change. One (of many) things I found amusing was that sometimes when going in the wrong direction and therefore going onto facing points, I could see that the points had not completely snapped over. So I stopped the tram radioed in, and was told "Get out and give the points a kick"! That happened so many times I gave up with the radio and just got out and gave the points a kick. Of course, if the tram had derailed that would have been my fault.

I am not anti-MER, but there are a lot of problems - all stemming from poor management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The mountain railway should be shut down before it kills a carriage full of people.

It is intrinsically unsafe because of the way it was designed.

It would take a huge multi million investment to replace the running gear on the trams and make it safe.

DO NOT LET ANY OF YOUR FAMILY OR CLOSE FRIENDS GO ON THE MOUNTAIN RAILWAY IF YOU VALUE THEIR LIVES.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Heritage society with some government help. Link it to their performance in attracting visitors.

I'd rather have the cash spent on quality healthcare.

26 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I would say that money alone won't get you quality healthcare. Sorry to be pedantic

Indeed. And the amount we spend on the railways wouldn't even be noticed if added to the health budget. It certainly wouldn't make a transformation. Just buy a few more pen pushers. Surely we can aspire to things other than the basic essentials in public spending?

• Like 3

Just now, Blade Runner said:

The mountain railway should be shut down before it kills a carriage full of people.

It is intrinsically unsafe because of the way it was designed.

It would take a huge multi million investment to replace the running gear on the trams and make it safe.

DO NOT LET ANY OF YOUR FAMILY OR CLOSE FRIENDS GO ON THE MOUNTAIN RAILWAY IF YOU VALUE THEIR LIVES.

Oh, give over. What is wrong with you?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blade Runner said:

Nothing, I just have a bit of engineering knowledge and know that railway is running out of luck......

You have left the Island and you simply have a downer on absolutely everything. It's a disease that seems to afflict "go overs" but you have a particularly severe case. You used to post some intelligent stuff too. Did you have some kind of bad experience that's triggered this?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Heritage railways are well run over here by volunteers.

As has been said by others, it's not so clear cut nowadays in the UK. They don't have volunteers crawling all over them desperate for a look in. And don't forget that most of them are within shouting distance of populations of millions. We simply don't have that level of population so the numbers wanting to do it for fun will be limited.

• Like 1

Just now, woolley said:

You may laugh. It was a serious question. I know there are folks who left in the past feeling they'd been done over by the system.

No not at all and as I said

I just have a bit of engineering knowledge and know that railway is running/ will run out of luck......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2