Railway Cuts

0bserver

On 4/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Two-lane said:

The gov. refuses to publish the accident report, and furthermore refuses to publish a redacted version of the report. In other words, the contents are a gov. secret.

Therefore I cannot answer your question and the following is just my opinion about life,

Most of the work I did was for electronics boxes for aircraft, where safety is important and documentation is essential. At the lowest level someone will take part of the specification and come up with a software design for that bit. Someone else will take the design and create the code. Someone else will test the code to make sure the output meets the spec. Everything is documented and is maintained so that others can go back and verify what has been done.

Now conceptualise an organisation where the managers of *all* levels are nothing other than bus drivers who got lucky, and whose idea of documentation extends no further than a bus timetable, and where the is no monitoring of work, and there is simply no documentation - not even specifying the wire diameters that should be used.

In that situation, when something goes wrong it is not reasonable to blame the lowest level of person.

I was a programmer and we were taught that an analyst writes the documentation first and that the documentation actually drives how you write the programming. Plus you put the documentation into the coding as comments to explain the coding and why. When the programming is finished the original documentation gets tweaked to become the source documentation.

So far so good. In Reality Land the coding is just a first stab at how it would end up and it very quickly goes off-piste to incorporate elements that the analyst failed to take into consideration. When it's finished and working totally re-writing the documentation is a real drag so it's usually somewhat light in weight...

I recall coding into a suite a change in legislation with more explanatory comments than you could shake a stick at. When the legislation changed as it was my work I was tasked to implement the new variables. I remember reading my own multitudinous comments and wondering "What the fuck was I thinking of ???!!!" and so forth. So hats off to maintenance programmers. If you can't understand your own logic what chance has anyone else? However I digress...

Electro-mechanical devices wear over time. So parts need replacing. Strange but true it's not beyond the wit of man to track parts usage over time and draw up a Scheduled Maintenance Program that should replace the wearing parts before they have not just an embarrassing failure but a catastrophic one! This Schedule should incorporate a Best Practices of how to carry out the full SM and how to do it proper like.

Between SM's there should be Preventative Maintenance inspections to be carried out at regular intervals to see if the SM schedules have the right timeframes. Quite often parts manufacturers change and the life of the new elements should be monitored. Particularly as the most frequent driver for change is a cheaper option...

Like being back at work...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Quite often parts manufacturers change and the life of the new elements should be monitored. Particularly as the most frequent driver for change is a cheaper option...

Of course with heritage railways, Steam, electric, horse, the manufacturer went out of business/stopped producing 100+ years ago.

Everything is made from scratch or restored. The driver seems to be authenticity at any cost.

But I agree, standard regular review & testing and replacement seems not to be scheduled or documented, or, if it is the seriousness of defects/shortcomings isn’t recognised. 

If staff report issues and no action is taken ( bus brakes, Snaefell fell rail braking etc ) they eventually stop reporting.

@P.K. You, and many others on this forum, have worked in industries where things are done the right way. After most of my working life in electronics, for the last few years I ended up at the MER. Things were astoundingly different.

A suitable quote is from the film Blade Runner: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

@P.K. You, and many others on this forum, have worked in industries where things are done the right way. After most of my working life in electronics, for the last few years I ended up at the MER. Things were astoundingly different.

A suitable quote is from the film Blade Runner: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe".

Like tears in the rain the MER mountain trams will disappear after the inevitable happens.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Two-lane said:

The gov. refuses to publish the accident report, and furthermore refuses to publish a redacted version of the report. In other words, the contents are a gov. secret.

Therefore I cannot answer your question and the following is just my opinion about life, the universe and Hollywood starlets.

I used to work as a programmer. You will have seen the films where a Hollywood starlet is sitting at a desk with not a document or specification in sight. She is banging away at the keyboard transferring code directly from her brain into the computer. Some people work that way and some do not.

Most of the work I did was for electronics boxes for aircraft, where safety is important and documentation is essential. At the lowest level someone will take part of the specification and come up with a software design for that bit. Someone else will take the design and create the code. Someone else will test the code to make sure the output meets the spec. Everything is documented and is maintained so that others can go back and verify what has been done.

Now conceptualise an organisation where the managers of *all* levels are nothing other than bus drivers who got lucky, and whose idea of documentation extends no further than a bus timetable, and where the is no monitoring of work, and there is simply no documentation - not even specifying the wire diameters that should be used.

In that situation, when something goes wrong it is not reasonable to blame the lowest level of person.

Are you asking in the right places.

Ask for release of the HSWi report via that dept

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

I was a programmer and we were taught that an analyst writes the documentation first and that the documentation actually drives how you write the programming. Plus you put the documentation into the coding as comments to explain the coding and why. When the programming is finished the original documentation gets tweaked to become the source documentation.

So far so good. In Reality Land the coding is just a first stab at how it would end up and it very quickly goes off-piste to incorporate elements that the analyst failed to take into consideration. When it's finished and working totally re-writing the documentation is a real drag so it's usually somewhat light in weight...

I recall coding into a suite a change in legislation with more explanatory comments than you could shake a stick at. When the legislation changed as it was my work I was tasked to implement the new variables. I remember reading my own multitudinous comments and wondering "What the fuck was I thinking of ???!!!" and so forth. So hats off to maintenance programmers. If you can't understand your own logic what chance has anyone else? However I digress...

Electro-mechanical devices wear over time. So parts need replacing. Strange but true it's not beyond the wit of man to track parts usage over time and draw up a Scheduled Maintenance Program that should replace the wearing parts before they have not just an embarrassing failure but a catastrophic one! This Schedule should incorporate a Best Practices of how to carry out the full SM and how to do it proper like.

Between SM's there should be Preventative Maintenance inspections to be carried out at regular intervals to see if the SM schedules have the right timeframes. Quite often parts manufacturers change and the life of the new elements should be monitored. Particularly as the most frequent driver for change is a cheaper option...

Like being back at work...

The trouble is you need compotent people willing to put in the effort to create a bespoke system for a loss making heritage railway. That would require a compotent manager to create and initiate the system ensuring all parties are trained and monitored in its use with regular audits to ensure the system is working as you say. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So that is the reason behind all the open space by the war memorial, to build a new MER terminus. Also explains the long millions quoted for lighting sytem for the trams. Seems that fuckwit Longworth will have the last laugh.

Probably the site compound for the sea wall and walkway refurbishment to then be replaced with a reduced scale version of the Globe theatre for outdoor performances of A Midummer Nights Dream. Or possibly the end of the lagoon where you'll be able to drive out to the megacruise ship terminal.

Edited by CallMeCurious

10 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I would call you optimistic, the way the government are scrabbling down the back of the sofa for loose change  lately. 

Considering very few people carry cash these days, there's no longer much loose change down the back of the sofa. At least there's not in mine anyway. I looked yesterday. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Like tears in the rain the MER mountain trams will disappear after the inevitable happens.

I think you mean that one will disappear and the rest will follow...

As ultimately they are public transport surely 'elf & sufferty requires a proper ongoing maintenance schedule?

Fix and run just doesn't cut it...

• Thanks 1