Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Ah the good old days.  Not just cars though but those new fangled trucks and buses not to mention motorcycles. And as for those guys with the sirens and flashing lights well....It's just not natural I tell ya. 

The future is local, no problem with necessary travel like food distribition, or emergency services but some old chuff out for a toodle in a car capable of driving well beyond their limits is not on.

6 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

This seems unlikely: pressure from the saddle on the parts, plus the occasional crash down on to the bar…

You don't get much pressure from the saddle if you are constantly pedalling, and in the context of active travel most would be on the bike for less than 30 minutes.

Why would you crash down on the bar, or are you just a clumsy clod?

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not actually true:

In 1801, Richard Trevithick built and demonstrated his Puffing Devil road locomotive, believed by many to be the first demonstration of a steam-powered road vehicle.

whereas:

The first means of transport making use of two wheels arranged consecutively, and thus the archetype of the bicycle, was the German draisine dating back to 1817.

Neither was exactly the same as their modern descendants, but using four wheels has a longer history than two. 

Well done on the googling to try and make a meaningless technical point, but fact is that in the Isle of Man cycling was widespread as a means of transport before cars. The workers that built promenades walked or cycled to work, not drove.

Edited by HiVibes

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not actually true:

In 1801, Richard Trevithick built and demonstrated his Puffing Devil road locomotive, believed by many to be the first demonstration of a steam-powered road vehicle.

whereas:

The first means of transport making use of two wheels arranged consecutively, and thus the archetype of the bicycle, was the German draisine dating back to 1817.

Neither was exactly the same as their modern descendants, but using four wheels has a longer history than two. 

Don't get me started on those steam powered road vehicle drivers!. What with their driving two abreast, smoke pouring out of their chimneys, blocking up the café car parks while they have their coffee and cake, sprinting for the town signs, running red lights, driving on the footpaths. Absolute goggle wearing loonies. What are we too do? They as bad as those cyclists causing me to be a minute late into Ramsey the other day.

Won't anyone think of the poor motorists😁

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Well done on the googling to try and make a meaningless technical point, but fact is that in the Isle of Man cycling was widespread as a means of transport before cars. The workers that built promenades walked or cycled to work, not drove.

So are you suggesting we go back to that era?

58 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So are you suggesting we go back to that era?

Not some sort of time travel, I like a hot shower, but a low carbon future which is essential will require more local services, local shops, local jobs that people can walk or cycle to, electric cars are not the answer, and neither is waiting for  government to tell you to do what is right.

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Not some sort of time travel, I like a hot shower, but a low carbon future which is essential will require more local services, local shops, local jobs that people can walk or cycle to, electric cars are not the answer, and neither is waiting for  government to tell you to do what is right.

All sounds a bit Royston Vasey, but you would probably like that. 

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:45 AM, HiVibes said:

Because old people.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, Passing Time said:

Do you mean older people who know how to construct a sentence that makes sense...:rolleyes:

On 12/6/2022 at 8:36 AM, HiVibes said:

Nah, all of them.

8 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Well that one is long dead, but I would not put a fine old Manx fella who lead an active life into his 90's into the same category as the dross on here.

Er..... So how do you know that there aren't some fine old Manx fellas who lead an active life on here? How do you define 'dross'? And if it's such a backwater of doddering old dickheads, what are you doing here?

I thought at first you made some fair points about the hardships suffered disproportionately by the younger generations, but your main focus seems to be 80% about trolling the codgers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Er..... So how do you know that there aren't some fine old Manx fellas who lead an active life on here? How do you define 'dross'? And if it's such a backwater of doddering old dickheads, what are you doing here?

I thought at first you made some fair points about the hardships suffered disproportionately by the younger generations, but your main focus seems to be 80% about trolling the codgers.

Yes he’s a prick just trolling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

1. If there was someone of that calibre it would be obvious.

2. Dross - listens to Manx Radio, usually a fat whiny bellend, usually english and for some reason won't fuck off back there.

3. Manx Forums - For Manx init.

4. You added dickheads and backwater, but based on comments lots of dodderers on here, but not confined to here which is the problem.

At the end of the day I am here to help, and my valuable contributions are an act of charity, its not trolling. 

• Haha 3