Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Which defeats the health bit of "active whatever" policy

Every e bike I have ridden has been a Chinese type and they are basically electric mopeds.

When you see a Police car you pretend to pedal...................

ETA I have got one and bought 250W stickers from ebay to put in place of the 1000w sticker on the hub. 

I get more exercise cleaning the thing than I do zipping about town on it.................

Therein lies the problem. Ride a proper one. You have to pedal. Your heart rate goes up. It's exercise. No doubt whatsoever.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

We have hills, a lot of them, very steep hills that is the difference between us and Holland.    This puts the average person off pedal power, not the wind or the cold.

Active Travel =  communting short distances by walking or cycling.

Not cycling in over the mountain. Most people who live in Douglas have maybe one incline on the way to work, but none of them are very steep as you can take a more leisurely route if you can't manage / until you build srength and confidence.

Tell me an estate within 2 miles of Douglas town centre that is impossible to cycle or walk from due to these very steep hills, and I will happily tell you a low gradient route. Most of the problem is self limiting beliefs,  encouraged by fat old drama queens on local media and now in the DOI.

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Correct decision, for once. 

If you think that, don't ride one. But your age/weight/disability shouldn't prevent other people from making their own choice to ride one.

Can't be a safety objection because driving a car at 155mph is infinitely more dangerous, and you seem to be in favour of that.

I'm sure you'd rather people had the freedom to make their own choices without the nanny state enforcing our transport choices.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Germany's autobahns and many other roads in Europe and worldwide allow much higher speeds than you obviously feel safe driving at. I suggest you don't ever leave the island again. 

I am familiar with German autobahns, because I lived in Germany for most of the 1980s and 1990s.

Cambon is just another smart-arse who believes he has the supreme capability to drive at high speed in any situation. He also thinks he knows enough about me to be able to asses my driving abilities.

There are British people who go to Germany to drive on the autobahns or who hire a super-car, just to get the thrill of driving faster than is sensible on a public road. Take a look at YouTube.

But there is the near-certainty that Peters wants to modify his car not to use on the autobahns but to drive at very high speed over the Mountain Road - a two-way road. He has made posts in the past saying that.

That is stupid behaviour by anyone, but is raised to the level of totally brain-dead for a member of a government.

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

Northumbia police just announced crackdown on super E bikes. 

Most forces have a periodic crackdown on non-road-legal motorcycles, dirt bikes and off road quads, and unlicensed electric motorcycles are no different. Look on YouTube for one of the grotesque USA purges where they bulldoze hundreds of confiscated dirt bikes.

E-bikes are pedal-driven and have a specific definition in law, and a number of classes - an electric motorcycle isn't an e-bike, not even a super e-bike.

E-bikes aren't taxed and insured and don't need to be, where they meet the legal definition.

There's no problem with an electric motorcycle if it's taxed and insured, same as a dirt bike. 

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am familiar with German autobahns, because I lived in Germany for most of the 1980s and 1990s.

Cambon is just another smart-arse who believes he has the supreme capability to drive at high speed in any situation. He also thinks he knows enough about me to be able to asses my driving abilities.

There are British people who go to Germany to drive on the autobahns or who hire a super-car, just to get the thrill of driving faster than is sensible on a public road. Take a look at YouTube.

But there is the near-certainty that Peters wants to modify his car not to use on the autobahns but to drive at very high speed over the Mountain Road - a two-way road. He has made posts in the past saying that.

That is stupid behaviour by anyone, but is raised to the level of totally brain-dead for a member of a government.

In his defence, there is no limit over the mountain so it's not illegal to do exactly that. In the event that there was an RTC because of poor driving, the driver is held responsible for their actions and held to account.

10 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

In his defence, there is no limit over the mountain so it's not illegal to do exactly that. In the event that there was an RTC because of poor driving, the driver is held responsible for their actions and held to account.

Every country in the world has speed limits. The limits are there to aid road safety. There is only one country in the world that does not have speed limits on all two-way roads. That puts the IoM gov. in exactly the same place as people in lunatic asylums who truly believe that they are sane and the rest of the world is insane.

So how about the family of a victim of a high speed crash, who have the money, take legal action against the government on the grounds that they have not imposed speed restrictions that every other country in the world has?

Peters is a member of the government. He is supposed ta act in a sensible manner, and not like a teenager with a baseball cap on back-to-front.

11 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

If you are going to link that crash use the time stamp feature like so 

Otherwise people might think its about a dirty old man scouring the streets for hidden children.

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Every country in the world has speed limits. The limits are there to aid road safety. There is only one country in the world that does not have speed limits on all two-way roads. That puts the IoM gov. in exactly the same place as people in lunatic asylums who truly believe that they are sane and the rest of the world is insane.

So how about the family of a victim of a high speed crash, who have the money, take legal action against the government on the grounds that they have not imposed speed restrictions that every other country in the world has?

Peters is a member of the government. He is supposed ta act in a sensible manner, and not like a teenager with a baseball cap on back-to-front.

What he's doing is legal though. You can't condemn a person for doing something that's allowed by law, unless their driving falls below the expected standard and they're held to account for it. We can't smoke dope (yet), it's an arrestable offence, but that's legal in other jurisdictions like parts of the USA and Holland. Doesn't mean that we have the authority to tell them how to enforce their laws.

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1