Active Travel

Stu Peters

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There are lots of places you can safely do >60mph on the island. 155mph less so, particularly in a car.

On a public road, it is never safe to drive at that speed, it is always a high risk, much more so for slow old dodderers. 

You might have got away with it but its never 'safe' and unless you did some risk assessment before hand and were fully aware of the road conditions and had spotters you will have needlessly put others in danger.

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There are lots of places you can safely do >60mph on the island. 155mph less so, particularly in a car.

Depends on the car I suppose. Something seriously fast like a Tesla might be able to hit it it more places. Ballamodha is limited now so with an old car you'd be stuck with the mountain mile, down from the Creg (outside of the summer) and some of the straight roads out of Sulby perhaps. Not a great deal of choice these days.

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Peters is a member of the government. He is supposed ta act in a sensible manner, and not like a teenager with a baseball cap on back-to-front.

We’re all supposed to act in a sensible manner.

Are teenagers with baseball caps on back to front exempt from doing so?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Spelling

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

On a public road, it is never safe to drive at that speed, it is always a high risk, much more so for slow old dodderers. 

You might have got away with it but its never 'safe' and unless you did some risk assessment before hand and were fully aware of the road conditions and had spotters you will have needlessly put others in danger.

Which speed? If you mean 60 of course there's plenty of places it's safe.

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Depends on the car I suppose. Something seriously fast like a Tesla might be able to hit it it more places. Ballamodha is limited now so with an old car you'd be stuck with the mountain mile, down from the Creg (outside of the summer) and some of the straight roads out of Sulby perhaps. Not a great deal of choice these days.

Even in my 500bhp+ car there's nowhere on the Island I'd risk 155mph+. Ballamodha has been limited for ages, as it should be, there's been a horrendous number of fatal crashes along that road. Way too many farms each side for any sort of speed.

I've managed 155+ on a 1000cc bike on the mile, wouldn't try it on or in anything else I don't think.

11 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Even in my 500bhp+ car there's nowhere on the Island I'd risk 155mph+. Ballamodha has been limited for ages, as it should be, there's been a horrendous number of fatal crashes along that road. Way too many farms each side for any sort of speed.

I've managed 155+ on a 1000cc bike on the mile, wouldn't try it on or in anything else I don't think.

So overall, pointless to have a 155mph car I guess.