Active Travel

Stu Peters

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It started pouring down at 07:40 and then again at 09:00

I was doing my active travel. I got piss wet through both times. Didn't kill me though.

They say in the Lake district. There is no such thing as unsuitable weather, only unsuitable clothing

Yeah right!

Well I did not hit any rain, might have been a touch after 8am when I left.  Getting wet is not a problem, skin is waterproof,  staying wet is. I don't usualy bother with waterproofs just a change of clothes.

14 hours ago, The Bastard said:

So overall, pointless to have a 155mph car I guess.

I think you're right, unless you're doing track racing in it.  155mph on the road, even in Germany, is never necessary.  I've got a car that is limited the same, and could presumably do faster if 'unlocked'.  I've never got anywhere close to it.  

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Stupid comments/suggestions. 

why? improved safety on our roads, less traffic, reduced carbon and car parks for workers who need them at the hospital.

I am struggling to see how anyone could disagree, unless you are one of those demented old duffers who despite cognitive and physical decline. unreasonably hold onto the notion that they can still drive regardless of the dangers they pose for other more useful road users.

1 minute ago, HiVibes said:

why? improved safety on our roads, less traffic, reduced carbon and car parks for workers who need them at the hospital.

I am struggling to see how anyone could disagree, unless you are one of those demented old duffers who despite cognitive and physical decline. unreasonably hold onto the notion that they can still drive regardless of the dangers they pose for other more useful road users.

You’ll think differently when you are a demented old duffer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, forestboy said:

You’ll think differently when you are a demented old duffer. 

Don't try and tell me what I will do, I already limit my driving, and happily get a bus, I can't wait for infratructure to catch up to where it needs to be. Old dinosaurs with silly selfish outdated ideas really shoud have nothing to do with a future that is not theirs.

I have met a couple of sharp 80 year olds who still cycle everyday and attribute their health to it so I will keep on with that, but If I do go into decline I would not be so selfish as to endanger others.

Problem with old people these days,  had life handed on a plate and no respect or discipline.

Don't try and tell me what I will do, I already limit my driving, and happily get a bus, I can't wait for infratructure to catch up to where it needs to be. Old dinosaurs with silly selfish outdated ideas really shoud have nothing to do with a future that is not theirs.

I have met a couple of sharp 80 year olds who still cycle everyday and attribute their health to it so I will keep on with that, but If I do go into decline I would not be so selfish as to endanger others.

Problem with old people these days,  had life handed on a plate and no respect or discipline.

You do talk some crap 💩 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not according to your own anecdote about the “sharp 80 year olds”…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Bastard said:

If you think that, don't ride one. But your age/weight/disability shouldn't prevent other people from making their own choice to ride one.

Can't be a safety objection because driving a car at 155mph is infinitely more dangerous, and you seem to be in favour of that.

I'm sure you'd rather people had the freedom to make their own choices without the nanny state enforcing our transport choices.

We shall see. Have you been to Liverpool recently? You can rent scooters like Boris bikes in London. The problem is the people who ride them. They have no respect for anyone or anything else. Pissed up football fans racing down pavements, jumping off pavements, zipping in and out of traffic are a recipe for disaster. It would be no better here. Ban them while we can. 

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

We shall see. Have you been to Liverpool recently? You can rent scooters like Boris bikes in London. The problem is the people who ride them. They have no respect for anyone or anything else. Pissed up football fans racing down pavements, jumping off pavements, zipping in and out of traffic are a recipe for disaster. It would be no better here. Ban them while we can. 

there are at least 3 a week of these  scooter  vandals   killed or seriously injured in the Costas every week and the roads and pavements are much wider  there , you cant see  them on your inside  when you are  driving  because they are only inches from the ground  , and they fly across pedestrian crossings and have no regard for pedestrians or other road users  

it would be a nightmare if they were legalised on the Isle of man   ,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

there are at least 3 a week of these  scooter  vandals   killed or seriously injured in the Costas every week and the roads and pavements are much wider  there , you cant see  them on your inside  when you are  driving  because they are only inches from the ground  , and they fly across pedestrian crossings and have no regard for pedestrians or other road users  

it would be a nightmare if they were legalised on the Isle of man   ,

Like I said earlier in the thread, there's a terrible tendency to talk in extreme stereotypes here. The numbers you've quoted just aren't not borne out by the actual accident statistics for Spain at all, you just made it up. In any case, the IOM could only dream of the numbers of pissed-up tourists that turn the Costas into a Sun-reading Sol-swilling free-for all, so it's not exactly likely to happen here.  Describing people as "vandals" who have "no regard for pedestrians or other road users" because they happen to ride a mode of transport that you don't like is a bit nuts though. As far as I know there aren't many e-scooters that come with a mandatory brain implant that induces psychosis and a lack of self-preservation. I think that only comes with Audis.

• Like 2