Active Travel

Stu Peters

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

So what is your alternative?

I personally think we focus more on encouraging people to use public transport? Perhaps we could even look at consulting the public and create a bus timetable that would actually work for most of the working population, because at the moment unless you live in/around Douglas/Onchan, your options are quite limited and they certainly don’t cater for those who have to work weekends.

the thing with buses is your journey takes longer , even if the nearest bus stop is outside your front door ,  people don't have or are not willing to spend their time travelling to work and back, it's all rush rush rush these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steady Eddie said:

I’ve yet to see anyone using all this infrastructure in any reasonable numbers. The only main use you see is of the TT access road but they all park in the QB carpark to use it. Hardly anyone commutes. I think I’ve seen one bike on Pulrose Bridge in 6 months. 

Pulrose Bridge is an absolute joke. It’s hardly ever used by cyclists and it’s too narrow to stop buses blocking the road. It’s just another futile exercise in nothing but delivering confusion and frustration by the idiot planners at the DOI. 

• Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Pulrose Bridge is an absolute joke. It’s hardly ever used by cyclists and it’s too narrow to stop buses blocking the road. It’s just another futile exercise in nothing but delivering confusion and frustration by the idiot planners at the DOI. 

To be fair I think it was the MAMILs in last house eg Shimmins, Harmer Baker & peake who pushed active travel agenda 

Edited by Banker

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We  have hundreds of thousands of pounds-worth of new cycleways installed already, bereft of bicycles. Cooil Rd, Pulrose and its Bridge, Peel Rd, Gansey, Lezayre Rd to name a few.

Where are all these commuting cyclists that they were put in place for the benefit of?

During the summer at least I regularly ride to work.  The Peel Road cycle lane is pretty functional and I generally see other cyclists using it when I am too. 

However as discussed on another thread when it was first built, the Pulrose Bridge cycle lane is a complete clusterfuck.  There are random bollards, you actually have to get off to cross the road if going into Douglas and they got rid of a bus layby to put it in.  Prior to the improvements it was actually one of the better main road junctions on a bike.  Similar cycle lane shambles can also be found at the new Ballasalla Roundabout, where you ride on the pavement for 50m and Shore Road Gansey, where it's only one person wide and shared with pedestrians. 

I'm pretty certain that whoever designed the 'cycle lanes' has never cycled in traffic. 

Even though I'm a fair weather active traveler, nothing Govt did or said convinced me to do this.  I've been doing it about 15 years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think it's pretty good. The old layout was dangerous - for the busy gyms in the Downwards factory, the only option is to park in the Bowl car park, and you'd be taking your life in your hands to cross the wide lane of fast traffic coming over the blind crest on the bridge.New layout is far safer, and they added in cycle lanes running through the NSC to the ones on Peel road, which isn't a bad thing either. Looks odd but does the job.

8 minutes ago, WTF said:

the thing with buses is your journey takes longer , even if the nearest bus stop is outside your front door ,  people don't have or are not willing to spend their time travelling to work and back, it's all rush rush rush these days.

That is only part of the issue, I could live with the journey taking longer, it’s the timetable that is the issue for me, I would either be late for work or 50 minutes early, coupled with a weekend timetable that doesn’t mirror a Mon-Friday timetable even though people still need to get early morning buses at the weekend for work.

Having trialed the buses myself recently I simply couldn’t manage without my own transport and I can see why so many are reluctant to give up driving, I will be exactly the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stabit said:

I really don’t understand any rational person objecting to active travel.

Because it's all bollocks. 

We're a wet and windy rock in the middle of the Irish Sea with massive hills and darks nights for 6 months of the year, not Amsterdam. 

Government use Active Travel as an excuse to waste money and keep crayonistas in employment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

We're a wet and windy rock in the middle of the Irish Sea with massive hills and darks nights for 6 months of the year, not Amsterdam. 

Government use Active Travel as an excuse to waste money and keep crayonistas in employment. 

You sound depressed more than anything.

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

BBC story

We should be more like Holland, allegedly. I wonder of the new Director of Public Health realises that we're a bit colder, windier, wetter and more hilly?

I know you don't have anything to offert to any meaningful debate, but perhaps you need to understand that active travel is mainly people walking or cycling short distances and people have done this long before the arrival of chubby trucks. We don't really have suitable infrastructure for cars and never have, but the infrastructure for non car travel has taken second place to accommodate fat moaning snowflakes, who block up the roads for everyone else.

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's not intended to be for all journeys made by all people all of the time.  Even if it is only an alternative for some people some of the time, then there are benefits for our society and for ourselves as individuals (perhaps the only benefit to you or me is having less cars on the road/in car parks when we drive)

A 10-15 minute journey on an ebike in suitable clothing really isn't the adventurous expedition that you are making it out to be.  With the correct infrastructure, more people would be inclined to make that choice for some of their journeys. 

Anyone beleiving that it never gets dark or rains (or even snows!) in Amsterdam probably also thinks that the Isle of Man is so different to the rest of the world that it doesn't need speed limits...

As I said, I don't understand any rational person objecting to it.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stabit said:

A 10-15 minute journey on an ebike in suitable clothing really isn't the adventurous expedition that you are making it out to be.  With the correct infrastructure, more people would be inclined to make that choice for some of their journeys. 

Anyone beleiving that it never gets dark or rains (or even snows!) in Amsterdam probably also thinks that the Isle of Man is so different to the rest of the world that it doesn't need speed limits...

As I said, I don't understand any rational person objecting to it.  

Meet in the middle. Rip up the railways and replace them with e-bike paths. 

• Like 4