Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or alternatively give everyone voting rights from birth.

I know my 12 year old niece would make informed choices,  but don't think that they should be burdened with the responsibilty let them be children, and then give thm a double vote at 16 through to 32, thats when most people start thinking about starting a family and are forging an independent life. We are losing young people year on year we should be putting them in the driving seat and telling them this is their island and they choose the future.

2 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I know my 12 year old niece would make informed choices,  but don't think that they should be burdened with the responsibilty let them be children, and then give thm a double vote at 16 through to 32, thats when most people start thinking about starting a family and are forging an independent life. We are losing young people year on year we should be putting them in the driving seat and telling them this is their island and they choose the future.

Oh for goodness sake just shut up. 

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

And I know that at the age of 62 and older, you would make more informed choices than a 12  year old having had 5 decades more of life experience.

At 16 through to 32 along with many of my peers I made some of the worst mistakes of my life. We were in no position to be trusted to choose the future.

I can’t believe I am actually engaging with you. Must be my third glass of wine! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Demographics mean that the 65 and older group only makes up around 20% of the population in both the UK and IOM, so there's not really a need to supplement the votes of younger people. The core working ages between 16 and 64 makes up around 60% of the population, so most votes are from younger, economically-active people already. The 20% of older people doesn't really impose much of a burden on younger people, since by 65, many of them will have worked and contributed to the economy for 45+ years, also supporting the older and younger generations that went before them, so they are simply getting what they paid in.

One of the signs that you have passed from childhood to adulthood is a change in focus from focus on self-interest to focus on the wellbeing of the group, and it's the reason why humanity as a whole has survived, and we're not living in purge-style anarchy. Seeing things through a lens of self-interest is a childish way to think.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

Don’t disagree with that, but the point about differential vote weights according to age could be quite interesting. One criticism of the Brexit vote was that people predominantly voting for it wouldn’t be around to experience the long term negative consequences. 

Not sure votes for children is the way to go, and I’m sure the Daily Mail would find a feckless breeder with 14 kids who could single handedly sway a constituency. 

But why stop at limiting the elderly from voting? How about banning the unemployed, anyone with a mental health diagnosis, women, Jews…

Has this been tried anywhere before?

It was Churchill that said that Democracy is a poor way of choosing a government, but better than all the rest. Or something like that. He was probably right. 

Well that was a bit of a troll unless of course you meant all of it. Which I doubt. But I could be wrong as usually I am. Only people I’d block from voting are Rangers supporters. The rest you mention sound fine to me.

8 hours ago, forestboy said:

And your opinion counts for nothing. So do us all a favour and you butt out. 

Seems ironic that the young and thrusting @HiVibeswho is so scathing of 'old duffers' has nothing more exciting to do than spends 24hrs a day talking to old duffers about how good he is and how bad they.

Show him pity rather than scorn.

Who was it who said "youth is wasted on the youth"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Seems ironic that the young and thrusting @HiVibeswho is so scathing of 'old duffers' has nothing more exciting to do than spends 24hrs a day talking to old duffers about how good he is and how bad they.

Show him pity rather than scorn.

I had a theory at one point: that Vibes was actually an old duffer/boomer - but was also a highly trained wind-up merchant…just another in a long line of pushers of other people’s buttons, but with nothing else to do all day - and not actually young at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I had a theory at one point: that Vibes was actually an old duffer/boomer - but was also a highly trained wind-up merchant…just another in a long line of pushers of other people’s buttons, but with nothing else to do all day - and not actually young at all.

He's good at what he does. He stirs the pot, brings out opinions.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Not 24hrs I know you lot can't help exagerate everything though so will forgive you that.

You have to engage and understand the problem to deal with it.

Nice ride in this morning beautiful day, totally vibing!