Active Travel

Stu Peters

15 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Go on, kick off, the only way I will take notice is if cyclists behave responsibly

Authorities emphasise how important it is for motorists to give cyclists a 1.5 metre wobble space. Motorists who fail to do that usually get a fine.

Here is one I made earlier - go to 0:20

http://cclark.uk/cyclists/cyclists1.mp4

Cyclists are described by the authorities as being "vulnerable". For some it is a comment on their intellectual capabilities.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Saw my first cyclist on the Ramsey cycle way, well the one on the cycle way was right enough but their mate riding alongside them on the normal road was the epitome of arrogance.

Special part of the road created for them but no, they choose to ride on the carriageway holding the conventional traffic back and cyclists wonder why some of us get grumpy about their antics.

Go on, kick off, the only way I will take notice is if cyclists behave responsibly and begin to show that it is not a war, we all share the roads and it is just as important for them to try not to hinder other traffic just as motorists are now forced by law to not hinder cyclists.

OMG. Were you held up by 10 seconds?

They are not breaking the law nor failing to observe the highway code.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Authorities emphasise how important it is for motorists to give cyclists a 1.5 metre wobble space. Motorists who fail to do that usually get a fine.

Here is one I made earlier - go to 0:20

http://cclark.uk/cyclists/cyclists1.mp4

Cyclists are described by the authorities as being "vulnerable". For some it is a comment on their intellectual capabilities.

yes, cyclists don't give a shit about the  distance from vehicles when it suits them.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2

I saw a cyclist riding perfectly legally and sensibly today, there was a car in front of me but behind the cyclist.

Mr cyclist looked over his shoulder, signalled right, made it very clear by his road position that he was about to turn right, checked over his shoulder again and nearly got wiped out by the old digger in front of me.

I could see what was happening so why the old guy in the Audi couldn’t I have no idea.

All of this happened in middle of town in a 20mph limit.

No way I would ride regularly to work because the standard of driving is so poor.  I still don’t think the old aged Audi drive knows he nearly killed someone

48 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

OMG. Were you held up by 10 seconds?

They are not breaking the law nor failing to observe the highway code.

I was going the opposite way but the 10 or so vehicles behind them were held up. 

Get off your biased high horse and read what I said.

There is such a thing as consideration for other folk, so, if they had used the cycle track as it was intended everyone would be happy! They would have been using the facility provided for them as it was intended, no one would have been bothered, harassed or upset, traffic would have flowed satisfactorily but no, they did their own thing and blow everyone else.

No one else was breaking the law either.

• Like 2

Just now, doc.fixit said:

I was going the opposite way but the 10 or so vehicles behind them were held up. 

Get off your biased high horse and read what I said.

There is such a thing as consideration for other folk, so, if they had used the cycle track as it was intended everyone would be happy! They would have been using the facility provided for them as it was intended, no one would have been bothered, harassed or upset, traffic would have flowed satisfactorily but no, they did their own thing and blow everyone else.

No one else was breaking the law either.

To be honest i would find that mildly irritating. But all the problems in the world just now? It's well down the batting order for me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Saw my first cyclist on the Ramsey cycle way, well the one on the cycle way was right enough but their mate riding alongside them on the normal road was the epitome of arrogance.

Special part of the road created for them but no, they choose to ride on the carriageway holding the conventional traffic back and cyclists wonder why some of us get grumpy about their antics.

Go on, kick off, the only way I will take notice is if cyclists behave responsibly and begin to show that it is not a war, we all share the roads and it is just as important for them to try not to hinder other traffic just as motorists are now forced by law to not hinder cyclists.

Possibly because painted cycle lanes actually make cycling more dangerous and are widely regarded as a waste of taxpayers money.  Cycling two abreast is far safer.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457518309990?via=ihub

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/04/16/painted-white-lines-are-not-cyclist-protecting-forcefields-agree-experts/

https://road.cc/content/news/advisory-bike-lines-increase-risk-cyclist-casualties-279553

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2019/09/02/the-unsafe-laziness-of-painted-bike-lanes/

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

Or it never happened and it’s just another excuse to try to start an argument of course. 

Oh dear god.

You are really quite special.  Why dispute everything anyone ever posts?  What’s the point, and how is that starting an argument?  We are already 25 pages in to a anti cyclist thread

Edited by Asthehills