Active Travel

Stu Peters

Joined up government. Wants to buy land to allow parents to drop kids off at school. Maybe they should put it 100 or 200m down the road to allow for more active travel?

How about a permit scheme so only those with no practical alternative like walking or a school bus can get access? Same for older students too. Greenies would love it. And XR (what ever happened to them? Did they go extinct? Or go to Uni? Or get jobs?)

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Mr cyclist looked over his shoulder, signalled right, made it very clear by his road position that he was about to turn right, checked over his shoulder again and nearly got wiped out by the old digger in front of me.

The only time I have regularly ridden a bicycle was to secondary school in England well over half a century ago. Even then the roads were dangerous - my  mother told me so. When making a right turn I would stop at the kerb, wait until both directions were clear and then cross. Some will respond that traffic volumes are greater now and such actions are near impossible these days. I point out that my actions were based on self-preservation (something that I was aware of even at a young age), not on right-of-way.

As I am in the mood, I will tell you a story...

A few months ago I was driving southbound on Bowring Road in Ramsey, approaching the bridge with a left turn to the football ground and promenade in front of me. There was constant traffic flow in both directions. Coming towards me in the centre of the road were two children on bicycles, wobbling along in the centre of the road with their right arm out - probably just as they have been taught. They had to stop in the centre of the road. Traffic was continuing to flow past both of them. When I got to where they were, I just stopped - I did not wave to them or flash my lights. It was up to them to decide when it was safe. All I could do was watch my mirrors in case a motor-cycling moron decided to overtake and wipe them out.

If they had got hit, every man and his dog would have been blaming the car or truck driver. I would blame the people, including MHKs, who promote cycling in an area where the road layouts and terrain are simply not appropriate. But no-one would listen to me.

My mother's view was that the prime intent should be to stay alive, and secondarily to stay in good health.

The intent of the cycling zealots is just to stand up and shout "I have the right". They are the people who would go into the pub with broken teeth, one eye missing, and say with pride "I had the right - it wasn't my fault".

Well, if they had the common sense to stay more than 1.5 meters from parked cars they would not have to worry about other people being careless and opening a door.

My children got the bus to secondary school here - they both had the common sense not to even ask about riding a bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Erm, ok

I think you might need therapy.  Three posts in three days all accusing me of starting arguments when I haven’t been.

Thats your entire contribution to the forum in three days.

Good work 😂

one  persons discussion is another persons argument

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I saw a cyclist riding perfectly legally and sensibly today, there was a car in front of me but behind the cyclist.

Mr cyclist looked over his shoulder, signalled right, made it very clear by his road position that he was about to turn right, checked over his shoulder again and nearly got wiped out by the old digger in front of me.

I could see what was happening so why the old guy in the Audi couldn’t I have no idea.

All of this happened in middle of town in a 20mph limit.

No way I would ride regularly to work because the standard of driving is so poor.  I still don’t think the old aged Audi drive knows he nearly killed someone

I was in a similar situation today, about 5pm heading out of Ramsey. Cyclist put his arm out to indicate right.  I saw him, but only just because it was dark, and he had a black coat on. Apart from his little red light he was virtually invisible. 

I agree the standard of driving is poor, but some cyclists do seem to have a death wish. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The only time I have regularly ridden a bicycle was to secondary school in England well over half a century ago. Even then the roads were dangerous - my  mother told me so. When making a right turn I would stop at the kerb, wait until both directions were clear and then cross. Some will respond that traffic volumes are greater now and such actions are near impossible these days. I point out that my actions were based on self-preservation (something that I was aware of even at a young age), not on right-of-way.

As I am in the mood, I will tell you a story...

A few months ago I was driving southbound on Bowring Road in Ramsey, approaching the bridge with a left turn to the football ground and promenade in front of me. There was constant traffic flow in both directions. Coming towards me in the centre of the road were two children on bicycles, wobbling along in the centre of the road with their right arm out - probably just as they have been taught. They had to stop in the centre of the road. Traffic was continuing to flow past both of them. When I got to where they were, I just stopped - I did not wave to them or flash my lights. It was up to them to decide when it was safe. All I could do was watch my mirrors in case a motor-cycling moron decided to overtake and wipe them out.

If they had got hit, every man and his dog would have been blaming the car or truck driver. I would blame the people, including MHKs, who promote cycling in an area where the road layouts and terrain are simply not appropriate. But no-one would listen to me.

My mother's view was that the prime intent should be to stay alive, and secondarily to stay in good health.

The intent of the cycling zealots is just to stand up and shout "I have the right". They are the people who would go into the pub with broken teeth, one eye missing, and say with pride "I had the right - it wasn't my fault".

Well, if they had the common sense to stay more than 1.5 meters from parked cars they would not have to worry about other people being careless and opening a door.

My children got the bus to secondary school here - they both had the common sense not to even ask about riding a bike.

Little storey for you. My great grandad used to cycle up and down that road daily as a child when there were only a handful of cars on the roads in the north, (only really driven by doctors was his recollection) The road was used for cycling long before it got cluttered up with cars and was never designed for cars as was the case for pretty much every town on this island  cars are the problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Go on, kick off, the only way I will take notice is if cyclists behave responsibly and begin to show that it is not a war, we all share the roads and it is just as important for them to try not to hinder other traffic just as motorists are now forced by law to not hinder cyclists.

But the problem is that you (and some others) are only noticing when cyclists do behave irresponsibly.  Which is fairly common - people do tend to notice the unusual rather than the usual.  But this is the same logic as demanding that everyone over 65 should be banned from driving because someone saw an elderly driver make a mistake.

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the problem is that you (and some others) are only noticing when cyclists do behave irresponsibly.  Which is fairly common - people do tend to notice the unusual rather than the usual.  But this is the same logic as demanding that everyone over 65 should be banned from driving because someone saw an elderly driver make a mistake.

That's a massive generalisation which is unusual for you. I find that acceptable, normal behaviour is just that, normal and acceptable and therefore generally not commented on. So I partly agree with you.

I would say that most folk that I see in fairly normal clothes who are commuting on bicycles are road savvy and give and take with other road users.

I try to analyse my views and I've decided that really what I'm getting het up about is recreational and sporting activities on highways, particularly during working hours is rather selfish. Nothing to get worked up about I know but sometimes very frustrating.

• Like 1

Decades ago you would have horses and riders trotting along the roads of a town as a mode of transport. With the advent of the motor car this method of travel has become an almost exclusively off road recreational activity (gymkhanas, carriage driving contests and much as I despise it hunting, that sort of thing).

This is no doubt as a result of people finding traveling by car being much more convenient and horse riding on the road thus becoming more risky. ( especially when you take into account the rise of other motorized transport, say the articulated lorry)

Yes  motorists should show consideration to those on horseback  (and they always should) but the reality is they are an impediment to the smooth flow of traffic. And it’s not just people rushing to get to see Grandma Doris, efficient transport contributes to the economy.

With the massive increase in motor car ownership since it’s introduction is it not also time that cycling was also consigned to off road recreational use given the obstruction it causes?

Societal behaviour adapts to technological advances. Why is cycling such a sacred cow?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I try to analyse my views and I've decided that really what I'm getting het up about is recreational and sporting activities on highways, particularly during working hours is rather selfish.

Roads are for getting from one place to another, but of course there must be some leeway here or there. In the Cotswolds I have come across a farmer taking a herd of cattle down the road - but it is not every day and it is not on main roads.

On the other hand the Lycra louts, without a shadow of doubt, use the roads as their own personal training ground and believe they have the absolute right to behave as they wish. I do not agree with this, but I do not see any way to stop it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

On the other hand the Lycra louts, without a shadow of doubt, use the roads as their own personal training ground and believe they have the absolute right to behave as they wish. I do not agree with this, but I do not see any way to stop it.

From the last week alone, thankfully drivers don’t believe they have the absolute right to behave as they wish, unlike cyclists:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-attend-single-vehicle-collision-on-mountain-road/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/fine-for-farmer-who-crashed-battered-and-bruised-farm-van/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ramsey-man-accused-of-causing-serious-harm-by-driving-dangerously/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/teen-driver-told-he-risked-his-friends-lives-after-flipping-car/

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/drink-driver-caught-after-running-red-light/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Societal behaviour adapts to technological advances. Why is cycling such a sacred cow?

So people should not walk because they can use an electric wheelchair?

Why use stairs when you can install a lift in your house?

Why live when we can let you peacefully die?

Why not just live in a crap VR environment like Mark Zuckerberg wants you to?

Or why not accept that cycling was an ingenious idea long before the motor vehicle that has been unsurpassed as an efficient means of human transport that also improves physique, breathing. and sexual performance. Cycling is brilliant.

Edited by HiVibes

32 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Or why not accept that cycling was an ingenious idea long before the motor vehicle 

Not actually true:

In 1801, Richard Trevithick built and demonstrated his Puffing Devil road locomotive, believed by many to be the first demonstration of a steam-powered road vehicle.

whereas:

The first means of transport making use of two wheels arranged consecutively, and thus the archetype of the bicycle, was the German draisine dating back to 1817.

Neither was exactly the same as their modern descendants, but using four wheels has a longer history than two. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Little storey for you. My great grandad used to cycle up and down that road daily as a child when there were only a handful of cars on the roads in the north, (only really driven by doctors was his recollection) The road was used for cycling long before it got cluttered up with cars and was never designed for cars as was the case for pretty much every town on this island  cars are the problem.

You have old duffers for relatives?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Ah the good old days.  Not just cars though but those new fangled trucks and buses not to mention motorcycles. And as for those guys with the sirens and flashing lights well....It's just not natural I tell ya.