Active Travel

Stu Peters

6 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Block paving is the worst, you will all be pleased to know that sort of thing rarely happens.

It's a bit weird that guy saw there was an issue that would injure other humans and decided to keep filming for facebook likes rather than be public spirited. Douglas Councillor material right there. 

I've noticed our delightful Chinese Granite isn't exactly high friction in the wet.  Especially on the hill next to the Thirsty Pigeon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

Wonderful day for it today.

Oh , I don't know. Trying to hold on to a brolly (you can spot the optimises every time) must be quite invigorating. Add a quick dodge or two to avoid a cold shower courtesy of the inadequate highway drainage design and lack of maintenance.  Pretty good workout all round.

Then you get to sit around at a bus stop with inadequate shelter before squeezing into a muggy bus with other sodden masochists with your shopping balanced on your knee. One thing I can guarantee – there’ll be no MHK’s or MLC’s sharing the journey.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Just been for a walk, not too bad f wrapped up but wouldn’t fancy cycling over Richmond!!

I actually saw someone pushing their bike up Richmond Hill this morning.  On the pavement luckily.  They didn't look like they were having an awesome time. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

See the £2m bridges are on the agenda again. If it's going to be that popular and in great demand by the lycranazis why not make it toll bridge? Might cover the cost or repainting it every decade or two. 

Yes, Rob Mercer MLC has picked up this particular baton, reviving all the supposed needs and benefits that Tim Crookall said had become "blurred" in the DOI programme.

Building 2million pound bridges for somebody's hobby is obscene, they would not be prepared to shell out £200,000 for a decent skate/bike park that at least the kids could enjoy and get them away from the games console. But no some sweaty lycra clad oaf heading for a coronary on a bike that they should be passing a test for and paying road fund licence and insurance as they are all but in name an electric vehicle. But who has the ear of an mhk how much do you want. Knob heads the lot of em

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Talking of the ultimate Knobhead........At around 5 pm tonight we were driving towards Ballaugh from KM between Bishops Court and Ballaugh at about 50mph with a white pick up behind us, I couldn't believe my mirrors when I saw a motor behind the pick up pull out as if to overtake, Whoosh! A big, low sports car thingy came past both of us at an incredible speed. It then proceeded to pass the cars in front too.

I'm no slow driver but however powerful the sports car I honestly believe it was the most awful, dangerous driving I have ever seen.

Shoot me down if you like but it really was dangerous and I just hope that when it crashes No one else suffers because of such unbelievable behaviour.

The police apparently can't do anything ust because there is no current evidence against it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Talking of the ultimate Knobhead........At around 5 pm tonight we were driving towards Ballaugh from KM between Bishops Court and Ballaugh at about 50mph with a white pick up behind us, I couldn't believe my mirrors when I saw a motor behind the pick up pull out as if to overtake, Whoosh! A big, low sports car thingy came past both of us at an incredible speed. It then proceeded to pass the cars in front too.

I'm no slow driver but however powerful the sports car I honestly believe it was the most awful, dangerous driving I have ever seen.

Shoot me down if you like but it really was dangerous and I just hope that when it crashes No one else suffers because of such unbelievable behaviour.

The police apparently can't do anything ust because there is no current evidence against it.

You are going to have to explain why it was dangerous?  There are several bits of that road where an overtake is safe, especially in a powerful vehicle.

It sounds like someone was driving fairly slowly for that stretch of road at 50mph, and you and others were happy to sit behind them?

One person decided they wanted to go more quickly, so overtook people?  

What’s the issue?  I hope you had left sufficient gap between you and the vehicles in front that if the quicker car had wanted to they could have bunny hopped you and jumped into the gap?

• Confused 1

Building the bridge over Peel road makes no sense in isolation. The track on the other side of road (heading north) needs a lot of work to make it cycle ready. I was walking it last week and hit a very muddy quagmire. 
The Heritage trail though is well used by cyclists and walkers. But they need maintenance to cut back encroaching greenery and weeds that will wreck the path surface. 

45 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You are going to have to explain why it was dangerous?  There are several bits of that road where an overtake is safe, especially in a powerful vehicle.

It sounds like someone was driving fairly slowly for that stretch of road at 50mph, and you and others were happy to sit behind them?

One person decided they wanted to go more quickly, so overtook people?  

What’s the issue?  I hope you had left sufficient gap between you and the vehicles in front that if the quicker car had wanted to they could have bunny hopped you and jumped into the gap?

You weren't there, you didn't see it and you sound as though you are an idiot too if you drive at much more than 50 along there and overtake two or three cars at a time, Many of the bends are blind and there are a number of drives and farm entrances. I wish you luck that you don't meet any other cars doing the same the other way. 

Take it or leave it that's my view so carry on with your aimless, argumentative arrogance and try and be safe.

Bye.

PS, of course its possible to drive at more than 50 along there but not safely when its two way and there are other vehicles there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

PS, of course its possible to drive at more than 50 along there but not safely when its two way and there are other vehicles there.

Lol.  People drive through there at 60,70,80, 90 plus mph hundreds of times a day with other vehicles about and two way traffic with barely ever any incidents.

How big was the pile up this afternoon? How long were the police on scene for?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1