Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

See the £2m bridges are on the agenda again. If it's going to be that popular and in great demand by the lycranazis why not make it toll bridge? Might cover the cost or repainting it every decade or two. 

No doubt it'll be the same as last time. They'll waste a load of money on consultations, structural engineers and preparatory work and then do bugger all about it.

This is the habit government just can't break. 

They're running an annual budget that massively relies on drawing from reserves. There are several capital projects way over budget and income is down. 

So why are they wanting to spend even more money on the non-essential nice to haves? 

There's a high school that needs funding with no obvious plan to pay for it, yet this clown wants to build a couple of bridges that serve no real purpose. 

My guess is he's seen a copy of Allinson's budget, had seen his pet cycling project isn't funded and so has gone crying to the media about how it should be done. 

I’m a recreational cyclist and odd time bike commuter and that Pulrose Bridge is a mess. The loss of the second lane coming off the Bridge onto Peel Road is pointless. The cycle lane there is utter shite and I can see why the anti-bike mob hate it. I do too.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ian rush said:

The cycle lane there is utter shite and I can see why the anti-bike mob hate it. I do too.

Heading into town you have to ride across opposing traffic, avoid being mown down at the junction for Middle River, then cross back across opposing traffic at Peel Road. I don't use it when I'm on the bike, it's not safe. It's a fucking mess.

And to fund it my car tax is going up from £48 to £65, which the brains trust at the DOI reckon is a 10% increase.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

You are going to have to explain why it was dangerous?  There are several bits of that road where an overtake is safe, especially in a powerful vehicle.

It sounds like someone was driving fairly slowly for that stretch of road at 50mph, and you and others were happy to sit behind them?

One person decided they wanted to go more quickly, so overtook people?  

What’s the issue?  I hope you had left sufficient gap between you and the vehicles in front that if the quicker car had wanted to they could have bunny hopped you and jumped into the gap?

What if another dickhead in a similar car is coming in the opposite direction with the same mindset as this tosser in his low sporty type thingy, maybe things may have turned out different and a large emergency service presence may be required. You sir are an absolute clown.

Edited by Beelzebub3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The one over the main road to Peel makes sense, I support that one. Rebuilding the Glen Wyllin viaduct, as cool as it would be, is silly.

I suppose another bridge at the German halt would not cost that much either to make it safe to cross the Ramsey road.

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

This is the habit government just can't break. 

They're running an annual budget that massively relies on drawing from reserves. There are several capital projects way over budget and income is down. 

So why are they wanting to spend even more money on the non-essential nice to haves? 

There's a high school that needs funding with no obvious plan to pay for it, yet this clown wants to build a couple of bridges that serve no real purpose. 

My guess is he's seen a copy of Allinson's budget, had seen his pet cycling project isn't funded and so has gone crying to the media about how it should be done. 

We know how government departmental 'budgets' work. Spend, spend, spend until Christmas, realise there isn't enough left to continue until April at the rate. Stop overtime, cut back to only emergency and essentials**... get to the start of March and realise there is too much money left* so find imaginative ways to spend it before April... rinse and repeat.

So as a rep don't bother smoozing anyone between Xmas and March 1st.

*If you don't spend it you lose it from next years budget as well as this years. Not exactly conducive to cost cutting or efficiency.

** or declare a crisis of some sort and go cap in hand to treasury a la Oliver Twist

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

And to fund it my car tax is going up from £48 to £65, which the brains trust at the DOI reckon is a 10% increase.

Mine is the same and Electric cars charged at £65 is also a joke, encourage everyone to buy something small/economic and the hike the prices up, completely predictable of course.

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Mine is the same and Electric cars charged at £65 is also a joke, encourage everyone to buy something small/economic and the hike the prices up, completely predictable of course.

It was entirely predictable that EV owners would have to start paying part of their share eventually. 

How are you even surprised?

• Like 1

Let's see if Stu Peters, formerly the motorist's champion, votes with the pack for these tax increases as a DOI member. Bearing in mind the over-budget projects that fine, upstanding example of a Dept is currently heading which will have to be funded from somewhere.

Hopefully there'll be enough left to buy a calculator so they can actually work out what 10% really is.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Heading into town you have to ride across opposing traffic, avoid being mown down at the junction for Middle River, then cross back across opposing traffic at Peel Road. I don't use it when I'm on the bike, it's not safe. It's a fucking mess.

Well OK they are  not good at maths. But you should count yourself lucky. 
I pay £358 pa for a  normal 1997 cc saloon car. With a 10 % rise that will get it up to £393.80

Why?

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well OK they are  not good at maths. But you should count yourself lucky. 
I pay £358 pa for a  normal 1997 cc saloon car. With a 10 % rise that will get it up to £393.80

Why?

Bad news.  That puts you in Band L and they have rounded you up to £394 😂

8 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Of course electric cars should pay , they use roads the same as everyone else!! As the numbers grow then so will the tax so eventually all cars are taxed the same, shouldn’t be cheap rate for classic cars either