Active Travel

Stu Peters

13 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

You weren't there, you didn't see it and you sound as though you are an idiot too if you drive at much more than 50 along there and overtake two or three cars at a time, Many of the bends are blind and there are a number of drives and farm entrances. I wish you luck that you don't meet any other cars doing the same the other way. 

Take it or leave it that's my view so carry on with your aimless, argumentative arrogance and try and be safe.

Bye.

PS, of course its possible to drive at more than 50 along there but not safely when its two way and there are other vehicles there.

Him not being there has never prevented him from starting an argument...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, asitis said:

Just more tax to cover Government profligacy, nothing more ! More palatable perhaps than an increase in basic rates. Expect more of the same, they have engineered themselves into a corner !

The Island is becoming an expensive place to reside and an expensive place to visit/access. Govt itself is a major contributor to that in the name of its own short term survival vision and aspects of its own incompetence. Does anybody have any thoughts on where we will be in 5 - 10 years time?

• Like 1

So a nice surcharge of £12 for those struggling to make ends meet. Also the ominous statement about going after more polltuing cars and vans by other means.

So Douglas will become an ULEZ? Can see it now, cars parked along Peel Road* so you can catch a bus from Braddan Bridge for £1.50 rather than pay £30 for the 'privilege' of driving into central Douglas to work or do business.

Imagine the revenue for every non-EV coming from and going to the ferry each day. That'll do wonders for tourism, inflation and cost of living.

*not to mention hospital and Vaga's etc. Yellow line machiens and wardens will be doing overtime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Island is becoming an expensive place to reside and an expensive place to visit/access. Govt itself is a major contributor to that in the name of its own short term survival vision and aspects of its own incompetence. Does anybody have any thoughts on where we will be in 5 - 10 years time?

Up shit creek without a paddle

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Does anybody have any thoughts on where we will be in 5 - 10 years time?

I don’t think we’ll be anywhere and this is almost the last flip of the dice. I get Alf’s post covid brave strategy of let’s borrow a shit load of money and go for it but it’s starting to feel like a third division football team that thinks it’s in the premier league when really it’s still a third division football team now saddled with paying premier league levels of debt. Most of the initiatives in the growth strategy won’t take off as they’ve never taken off historically and it’s still the same dicks responsible for them. They’re even actively destroying the TT which is one of the few alleged cash cows the IOM has left. If we hadn’t have found the e-gaming sector then we’d be pretty much dead in the water already. And let’s face it we didn’t find that sector. A bunch of Israeli and Asian investors found us and realized that they could trap their wealth here tax free while they made billions. We didn’t really go looking for any of it. So unless another load of people come knocking on our door with the next get rich industry pre packed for us and we don’t have to do very much for it then not a lot is going to happen. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Of course electric cars should pay , they use roads the same as everyone else!! As the numbers grow then so will the tax so eventually all cars are taxed the same, shouldn’t be cheap rate for classic cars either 

It’s just one more thing to add to a long list of reasons of why I’d be better off financially in the UK. My car would be zero in the UK, has been since it was made and yet it’s going up nearly 17% 

I bet motorcycles will stay at £25 too, even though a 1200cc motorcycle will pollute more than the equivalent engine sized car.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's see if Stu Peters, formerly the motorist's champion, votes with the pack for these tax increases as a DOI member. Bearing in mind the over-budget projects that fine, upstanding example of a Dept is currently heading which will have to be funded from somewhere.

Hopefully there'll be enough left to buy a calculator so they can actually work out what 10% really is.

Well somebody has to pay for cycle lanes and active travel!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

a 1200cc motorcycle will pollute more than the equivalent engine sized car.

On what grounds do you make this statement please? New motorcycles have to comply with the latest emissions regulations applicable to them, equipped with cat converters etc, whilst inflicting considerably less wear and tear to the road surfaces. 

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Well somebody has to pay for cycle lanes and active travel!

That'll be an, "I'm voting for" then Stu?

As a Departmental member you'll be effectively obliged to do so anyway, regardless of any previous opinions expressed, including publishing figures on these boards indicating that only a small percentage of VED raised is actually spent on the roads.

If, as you suggest, cycle lanes and active travel have to be paid for then why not forward a motion obliging cyclists to pay a contribution towards these facilities?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

On what grounds do you make this statement please? New motorcycles have to comply with the latest emissions regulations applicable to them, equipped with cat converters etc, whilst inflicting considerably less wear and tear to the road surfaces. 

The grounds on which I make my statement is my car does around 60mpg consistently, I can’t get that from any 1000cc motorcycle. Exhaust wise you’ll struggle to find any sports bike with an original exhaust.

12 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The grounds on which I make my statement is my car does around 60mpg consistently, I can’t get that from any 1000cc motorcycle. Exhaust wise you’ll struggle to find any sports bike with an original exhaust.

2 wrongs don't make a right but there's plenty of people modifying and removing emissions equipment on cars too, in fact some advertise it as a trade. You've specified "sports" bikes too, what about the rest who retain their OE equipment, which has to be emissions compliant? And again, motorcycles aren't inflicting anything like the same wear on a road surface.

60mpg is an exceptional figure for a car, particularly for IoM motoring with hills, short journeys and stop-start conditions?

50 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

60mpg is an exceptional figure for a car, particularly for IoM motoring with hills, short journeys and stop-start conditions?

It’s anywhere between 55-65mpg, depending on conditions, stop/start rarely activates, I do benefit from working outside a 9-5 job so my morning commute is almost always a clear run, I check tire pressures weekly and do a service every 6 months.

My bike does about 40mpg in comparison, but is by far a quickest way to get to work (discounting the 10 minutes it takes to get ready……) and at least I arrive with a smile.

• Like 2