Active Travel

Stu Peters

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I have nothing whats so ever to do with cycling and active travel, so why should I have to pay for it. I am already paying and may I say handsomely for my car travel, why should I subsidise some beardie in a hair shirt and lycra.

The thought that car drivers pay anywhere near the true costs of motoring is simply wrong.  Car transport is hugely subsidized by the rest of society.  Those “beardies in a hair shirt and lycra” are undeniably subsidizing your car journey.

“Social costs, including market and non-market costs, thus represent significant subsidies forwarded to vehicle owners, with far-reaching implication for transport behaviour and traffic outcomes. These are defined in this paper as the external cost imposed on society.”

The lifetime cost of driving a car

Lifetime Cost Of Small Car $689,000; Society Subsidizes This Ownership With $275,000

QUANTIFYING THE EXTERNAL COSTS OF VEHICLE USE

• Like 1

I guess what really annoys me is that these cyclists have no sense of shame and their complete ingratitude for all the public money that is thrown into them pursuing their hobby.

A little contrition would go a long way to changing the public perception of them.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Confused 2

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess what really annoys me is that these cyclists have no sense of shame and their complete ingratitude for all the public money that is thrown into their hobby.

A little contrition would go a long way to changing the public perception of them.

Same goes for golfers and their municipal courses, boaters with their slipways and boat storage, parents with their free schools, pedestrians with their pavements, sick people with their excessive doctors and choice of hospitals, really sick people with their hospices. Bastards. I can't believe they're not lined up in front of your house in the morning to thank you for the VAT from your tena pads and personal lubricant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

Same goes for golfers and their municipal courses, boaters with their slipways and boat storage, parents with their free schools, pedestrians with their pavements, sick people with their excessive doctors and choice of hospitals, really sick people with their hospices. Bastards. I can't believe they're not lined up in front of your house in the morning to thank you for the VAT from your tena pads and personal lubricant.

Golfers and boaters don't get government subsided clubs or boats though?

https://www.erinbikehut.im/cycle-to-work/

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess what really annoys me is that these cyclists have no sense of shame and their complete ingratitude for all the public money that is thrown into them pursuing their hobby.

What public money goes to cyclists to fund their hobby?

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Golfers and boaters don't get government subsided clubs or boats though?

https://www.erinbikehut.im/cycle-to-work/

That is what you took from that piece ? Really ? That ?

Of course they do. The municipal courses are funded by local authorities who tax you via rates - the giveaway is the word "municipal". All of the harbour boat storage, harbour control and the slipways are funded through taxes.

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m a driver and what really annoys me is that fellow drivers have no sense of shame and their complete ingratitude for all the public money that is thrown at them.

Not-So-Free Ride

Research from New Zealand suggests that the social cost of car related accidents alone is NZ$4.9bn.  The average cost of a fatality is cNZ$4.5m.

Social cost of road crashes and injuries 2019 update

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Looking at the Pully, Ballasalla and Pooil Vaish cycle lanes, I'd agree that I am completely ungrateful. 

Just some more facts to digest:

“Results suggest that each kilometer driven by car incurs an external cost of €0.11, while cycling and walking represent benefits of €0.18 and €0.37 per kilometer. Extrapolated to the total number of passenger kilometers driven, cycled or walked in the European Union, the cost of automobility is about €500 billion per year. Due to positive health effects, cycling is an external benefit worth €24 billion per year and walking €66 billion per year.”

The Social Cost of Automobility, Cycling and Walking in the European Union

To summarize, car transport is massively subsidized, cycling and walking should be subsidized even more.  Full disclosure, I am a driver, cyclist and, of course, walker.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, finlo said:

I thought you couldn't tax for 6 months just pay six monthly at a premium just to further put the boot in to the impoverished?

£6 per payment premium isn't it? So an extra £36 for the privilege.

The question is of course, 1) what "losses" are predicted to arise from this most generous offer?

And then, 2) what increase in overall tax take will arise from the "10%" rises in VED?

I'm going for a few thousand at most for 1).

And a mill or two for 2).

They'll be telling us next that it's almost revenue neutral of course...

15 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

That is what you took from that piece ? Really ? That ?

Of course they do. The municipal courses are funded by local authorities who tax you via rates - the giveaway is the word "municipal". All of the harbour boat storage, harbour control and the slipways are funded through taxes.

And what are harbour dues for?