Active Travel

Stu Peters

15 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

That isn’t quite true, it is a well known fact that only car drivers pay for their roads.  😉

Ah yes,through their "road tax" that literally goes straight from the Post Office counter to Colas to buy tarmac. Except the tarmac is being stolen from Colas by those pesky kids on cycles who smoke it in skate parks and the toilets at 1886. Or something similarly easy to understand for the petrolheads after inhaling all that tetraethyl lead in the 70s.

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

That is what you took from that piece ? Really ? That ?

Of course they do. The municipal courses are funded by local authorities who tax you via rates - the giveaway is the word "municipal". All of the harbour boat storage, harbour control and the slipways are funded through taxes.

And berth or mooring fees by the meter I beleive. That makes the marina's quite a lucrative business for harbours when they can squeeze more in with little extra maintainence. Except the dredging and the odd flapgate failure that is. 

7 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Ah yes,through their "road tax" that literally goes straight from the Post Office counter to Colas to buy tarmac. Except the tarmac is being stolen from Colas by those pesky kids on cycles who smoke it in skate parks and the toilets at 1886. Or something similarly easy to understand for the petrolheads after inhaling all that tetraethyl lead in the 70s.

I heard it was being exchanged for chinese granite the proper hard stuff. Can't have our roads being made from that evil fossil fuel now can we. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Same goes for golfers and their municipal courses, boaters with their slipways and boat storage, parents with their free schools, pedestrians with their pavements, sick people with their excessive doctors and choice of hospitals, really sick people with their hospices. Bastards. I can't believe they're not lined up in front of your house in the morning to thank you for the VAT from your tena pads and personal lubricant.

Thing is these  people you mention above are not a menace on the road, at best being a nuisance and at worst endangering other peoples lives.

Nor do they have the same sense of entitlement.

You need to calm down.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thing is these  people you mention above are not a menace on the road, at best being a nuisance and at worst endangering other peoples lives.

Sorry, are you talking about car drivers here ?

The ones responsible for more than 1700 deaths on UK roads last year ?

Or are you imagining that cyclists are somehow responsible for that ?

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Sorry, are you talking about car drivers here ?

The ones responsible for more than 1700 deaths on UK roads last year ?

Or are you imagining that cyclists are somehow responsible for that ?

No I wasn’t talking about car drivers but the people you referred to,golfers, boaters sick people etc

I would have thought that was obvious

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

And berth or mooring fees by the meter I beleive. That makes the marina's quite a lucrative business for harbours when they can squeeze more in with little extra maintainence. Except the dredging and the odd flapgate failure that is. 

looking around the harbours at all the derelict and semi submersed boats I doubt  the DOI harbours division  have a clue who owns them   the marinas are an utter disgrace , cant see this being a lucrative business  when you take in  dredging  etc , it looks like they cant afford to do any   maintainence

18 minutes ago, Omobono said:

looking around the harbours at all the derelict and semi submersed boats I doubt  the DOI harbours division  have a clue who owns them   the marinas are an utter disgrace , cant see this being a lucrative business  when you take in  dredging  etc , it looks like they cant afford to do any   maintainence

I think someone, probably roger, posted the figures for Peel marina once, it was a really low amount. 

Yup to quote:

To get back to topic, it's worth revisiting the figures for dredging etc from the FoI that started this thread.  This stated:

The total cost of dredging the silt and preparation of the Strategic Waste Landfill Site to accommodate the silt is £6,291,736.

{This broke down as] The project cost of the works to dredge and dewater the silt at Peel and transport it to Turkeylands is £3,981,736. The budget for the development of the Strategic Waste Landfill Facility at Turkeylands is £1,711,000, plus Peel Marina Project will contribute a further £599,000, bringing the total for the development to £2,310,000.

Against this annual income from the Marina was around £100,000 from Manx residents plus an extra £30,000 from visitors.  Of course there will be all sorts of other running costs to come off that as well.

An update (reference number 2175843; date submitted 06/01/22) has recently appeared on the FoI site that says:

"How much of the £6.9m budget approved by Tynwald has been spent on the dredging and removal of silt from Peel Marina since January 1 2019."

The total spend from the approved budget since January 2019 to 31st December 2021 is £2,971,790

So they've spent nearly half of it without really knowing what they are going to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Cycle lanes for one

Oh sorry, is that paid for  by the cycle lane fairy?

And of course all the accompanying signage.

Which cyclists use cycle lanes in pursuance of their hobby? Surely they are only used by commuters who are cycling to work. Not sure about your theory here. Perhaps more forethought should be applied.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Which cyclists use cycle lanes in pursuance of their hobby? Surely they are only used by commuters who are cycling to work. Not sure about your theory here. Perhaps more forethought should be applied.

I know of several cyclists who go out for a “Sunday run” using cycle lanes. Not as a commute.  They can be easily seen riding in a pack every weekend 

Surely that is pursuing a hobby?

The lack of forethought is no mine

Edited by The Voice of Reason

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I know of several cyclists who go out for a “Sunday run” using cycle lanes. Not as a commute.  They can be easily seen riding in a pack every weekend 

Surely that is pursuing a hobby?

The lack of forethought is no mine

Motoring is a hobby. The "pleasure" category on your insurance defines it as such.

It's not unreasonable to make provisions for all road users - cars, cycles, pedestrians. motorcycles, buses. It's the reason why there are pavements, disabled parking spaces and bus stops despite the majority of cars not needing to use them (apart from the "special" drivers that park on all of them).

Like it or not, Cyclists are road users. They might not have the funds, license or medical status that allows them to drive a vehicle, and it's a low-cost option for short commutes that actively improves your health.

Because of the number of cyclists killed by negligent vehicle drivers, it's not unreasonable for a responsible government to plan to separate them from traffic, is it ?

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Almost every cyclist who has ever lived also pays VED.

But not in relation to their bicycle.

They may have paid it in respect of a car they own.

This tired old argument has no logic.

If I have two cars I’m not excused paying VED on car B because I have already paid it on car A. Cyclists for some reason don’t get this, or pretend they don’t.