Active Travel

Stu Peters

56 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you say anecdotes but their are plenty of studies by respectable scientific/ economic organizations which say that smokers make a net contribution to the economy, all things considered.

Equally there are other studies ( again by reputable bodies ) which support your point of view.

The evidence in either case is not overwhelming.

I guess you ( not you but people in general) tend to veer towards those that support their own pro smoking/ anti smoking point of view.

I have no idea why you have switched the conversation to smoking, I was solely referring to active travel, but fair enough, you win again.

19 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

I have no idea why you have switched the conversation to smoking, I was solely referring to active travel, but fair enough, you win again.

Just really to demonstrate that you can find any research or scientific opinion, especially on the internet to support the view or opinion you hold. Particularly prevalent during the Covid era

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just really to demonstrate that you can find any research or scientific opinion, especially on the internet to support the view or opinion you hold. Particularly prevalent during the Covid era

I’d be very surprised if you can find any genuine research that suggests bicycles generate negative externalities or cars generate positive externalities.  Here are just a few counter arguments from around the world from before the Covid era, whatever that has to do with it.

Negative Externalities associated with car use:

Traffic accidents in the U.S. cost $871 billion a year, federal study finds, 2014

Automobile Externalities and Policies, 2007

Externalities by Automobiles and Fare-Free Transit in Germany — A Paradigm Shift?, 2003

Not-So-Free Ride, 2008

Assessment of the external effects of car use in urban and rural areas of modern Russia, 2019

EXTERNALITIES IN THE TRANSPORT SECTOR, 1998

VEHICLE SIZE CHOICE AND AUTOMOBILE EXTERNALITIES: A DYNAMIC ANALYSIS, 2018

Internalizing the Externalities in Automobiles, 2019

The True Costs of Automobility: External Costs of Cars Overview on existing estimates in EU-27, 2012

Positive Externalities from cycle use:

Rewarding Cycling for positive transport externalities, 2013

The Social Cost of Automobility, Cycling and Walking in the European Union, 2019

Who caused that congestion?, 2019

Economic Benefits of Increased Cycling, 2016

Walking and Cycling, the economic benefits, 2018

Economic Benefits of Bicycle Infrastructure Investments, 2013

Cycling is good for health and the economy, 2013

Dutch Cycling: Quantifying the Health and Related Economic Benefits, 2015

The benefits of cycling, 2016

Bicycling Provides $137 Million in Economic Benefits to Northwest Arkansas, 2018

Economic benefits of cycling, 2014

However, despite the above research based evidence from the past 20 years or so (I’ve ignored anything since 2020 as you appear to have concerns regarding research published during the Covid era), you are totally entitled to your own anecdotal evidence to discredit the findings.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

I’d be very surprised if you can find any genuine research that suggests bicycles generate negative externalities or cars generate positive externalities.  Here are just a few counter arguments from around the world from before the Covid era, whatever that has to do with it.

Negative Externalities associated with car use:

Traffic accidents in the U.S. cost $871 billion a year, federal study finds, 2014

Automobile Externalities and Policies, 2007

Externalities by Automobiles and Fare-Free Transit in Germany — A Paradigm Shift?, 2003

Not-So-Free Ride, 2008

Assessment of the external effects of car use in urban and rural areas of modern Russia, 2019

EXTERNALITIES IN THE TRANSPORT SECTOR, 1998

VEHICLE SIZE CHOICE AND AUTOMOBILE EXTERNALITIES: A DYNAMIC ANALYSIS, 2018

Internalizing the Externalities in Automobiles, 2019

The True Costs of Automobility: External Costs of Cars Overview on existing estimates in EU-27, 2012

Positive Externalities from cycle use:

Rewarding Cycling for positive transport externalities, 2013

The Social Cost of Automobility, Cycling and Walking in the European Union, 2019

Who caused that congestion?, 2019

Economic Benefits of Increased Cycling, 2016

Walking and Cycling, the economic benefits, 2018

Economic Benefits of Bicycle Infrastructure Investments, 2013

Cycling is good for health and the economy, 2013

Dutch Cycling: Quantifying the Health and Related Economic Benefits, 2015

The benefits of cycling, 2016

Bicycling Provides $137 Million in Economic Benefits to Northwest Arkansas, 2018

Economic benefits of cycling, 2014

However, despite the above research based evidence from the past 20 years or so (I’ve ignored anything since 2020 as you appear to have concerns regarding research published during the Covid era), you are totally entitled to your own anecdotal evidence to discredit the findings.

Heres one positive externality of car ownership

1. Effects Of The Automobile On Economy

The gradual growth of the automobile industry fuels an economic revolution in countries with major car manufacturers like Germany and the United States. The booming motor vehicle business contributed to the blossoming of other industries like vulcanized rubber, oil, and steel. Finally, many new highways were constructed and road construction created thousands of new jobs.

Call this anecdotal if you want

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Heres one positive externality of car ownership

1. Effects Of The Automobile On Economy

The gradual growth of the automobile industry fuels an economic revolution in countries with major car manufacturers like Germany and the United States. The booming motor vehicle business contributed to the blossoming of other industries like vulcanized rubber, oil, and steel. Finally, many new highways were constructed and road construction created thousands of new jobs.

Call this anecdotal if you want

Apologies, I was quoting predominantly from scientific studies funded by governments or universities, yours is from carfromjapan.com and a direct quote from the author’s biography suggests his thoughts are somewhat anecdotal themselves:

”Philipp Meister is an amazing part of Car From Japan’s blogger team. After obtaining a degree in Automotive Technology from Technical University of Munich, Philipp worked as a technician in various Volvo dealerships. He has long been a car owner and enthusiast. With over 20 years experience in the automotive industry, he has great discussions about car that provide you interesting information of most famous cars. If you are a car lover and want to get most-updated trend of automotive industry, Philipp’s blog is a must-visit site.”

Impact Of The Automobile: How Have Cars Changed The World?

But you win, yet again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Apologies, I was quoting predominantly from scientific studies funded by governments or universities, yours is from carfromjapan.com and a direct quote from the author’s biography suggests his thoughts are somewhat anecdotal themselves:

”Philipp Meister is an amazing part of Car From Japan’s blogger team. After obtaining a degree in Automotive Technology from Technical University of Munich, Philipp worked as a technician in various Volvo dealerships. He has long been a car owner and enthusiast. With over 20 years experience in the automotive industry, he has great discussions about car that provide you interesting information of most famous cars. If you are a car lover and want to get most-updated trend of automotive industry, Philipp’s blog is a must-visit site.”

Impact Of The Automobile: How Have Cars Changed The World?

But you win, yet again.

Ok, road construction hasn’t created thousands of jobs then. It’s just something this chap has just made up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Ok, road construction hasn’t created thousands of jobs then. It’s just something this chap has just made up.

Please let me explain to avoid ongoing embarrassment.  There is no doubt whatsoever that road construction has created thousands of jobs, that cars have enabled millions of people to travel etc.  The chap is correct, cars have created thousands, maybe even millions of jobs.  However, the overwhelming scientific and economic evidence, funded by governments, NGOs, universities, academics etc around the world, is that those benefits are significantly outweighed by the costs imposed upon society in the form of pollution, CO2 emissions, global warming, accidents, fatalities, congestion, increased health spending, habitat destruction, road building, noise, waste processing, oil extraction etc.

I have signposted multiple sources previously, deliberately avoiding any overtly ‘green’ sources as they could well be overtly biased.  You have quoted a blogger from carfromJapan.com who has worked as a technician at Volvo dealerships for 20 years.  He can’t, by any stretch of the imagination, be described as a reliable source in this discussion.  

I think it is now time to move on, there are only so many times I can repeat the same indisputable facts.  You are entitled to your own opinion and I completely respect that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Interesting article in the courier. 

2.5 million wasted on active travel, is that more or less than was spent on road maintenance?

Even Henrietta was appalled by the poor management of the scheme.

Screenshot_2023-02-20-17-44-41-68_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.b2f0c915398b38b0bce1d69d2e30acc5.jpg

It’s just keeping people at the DOI in non-jobs thinking up and implementing pointless shit.

• Like 6