Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

The green mlcs are clammering for the bridges to be rebuilt.  Self interest? 

The plans I recall seeing were to reconstruct the bridges as they were originally - i.e. strong enough to take the weight of a 30 ton steam train.

To create a bridge for cyclists would merely need a small, simple, lightweight suspension bridge - faster and cheaper to build.

But then again - the DoI, a suspension bridge - it would be Tacoma Narrows all over again. It would become a tourist attraction before it finally fell down.

Edited to add - I think something like this would be adequate for the Lycra louts:

a-hanging-bridge-over-treacherous-river-sichuan-china-C5WB4J.thumb.jpg.ba0f9cbbf48063590d183e1be16244e7.jpg

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The plans I recall seeing were to reconstruct the bridges as they were originally - i.e. strong enough to take the weight of a 30 ton steam train.

To create a bridge for cyclists would merely need a small, simple, lightweight suspension bridge - faster and cheaper to build.

But then again - the DoI, a suspension bridge - it would be Tacoma Narrows all over again. It would become a tourist attraction before it finally fell down.

Edited to add - I think something like this would be adequate for the Lycra louts:

a-hanging-bridge-over-treacherous-river-sichuan-china-C5WB4J.thumb.jpg.ba0f9cbbf48063590d183e1be16244e7.jpg

Why would you build a completely new  suspension bridge when there are already concrete pillars in place? You would have to knock the pillars down and start a complete new construction from scratch with steel stanchions, that would cost more. Not saying you are a complete idiot but...

10 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Why would you build a completely new  suspension bridge when there are already concrete pillars in place? You would have to knock the pillars down and start a complete new construction from scratch with steel stanchions, that would cost more. Not saying you are a complete idiot but...

That's possible but certainly not necessarily so. Unless you are a structural engineer and have access to the surveys and the proposed design, you have no idea at all.