Active Travel

Stu Peters

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

That's exactly the approach  @Chris Thomasshould take with the horse tram fanatics. Tell them they're talking shite, instead of saying they're being unhelpful. 

So is animal slavery part of the modern slavery or just heritage slavery?

Funny how putting animals into fields to graze most of their life and provide things like milk, meat, leather and wool is somehow abhorent to a lot of people.

Yet the government putting these gentle giants in harness to pull a few tons of metal, wood and people up and down along a pink concrete road in the middle of traffic, in all weathers, for a handful of tourists is acceptable?

And have you seen the state of the stables? This is the heritage tourist attraction we are promoting?

What next pit ponies back at Laxey?

2 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what the **** the Lezayre Road cycle lane -that begins in the DOI depot, meanders across the road and then waxes and wanes for a while before disappearing - is all about. Who sanctioned it and who did it so badly. Where there any ramifications for such a shoddy bit of 'workmanship' and 'management'. Or was it so someone could claim we've hit our goal of x miles of cycle paths this year?

Exactly. Are you expected to stay out  this lane even though there are no cyclists in it whilst waiting for an articulated lorry that is taking up three quarters of the other available road space to crash into you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what the **** the Lezayre Road cycle lane -that begins in the DOI depot, meanders across the road and then waxes and wanes for a while before disappearing - is all about. Who sanctioned it and who did it so badly. Where there any ramifications for such a shoddy bit of 'workmanship' and 'management'. Or was it so someone could claim we've hit our goal of x miles of cycle paths this year?

Thats a cycle lane? How can you tell? Didn't see any signs on the road or posts at the side of the road last time I drove that way.

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Funny how putting animals into fields to graze most of their life and provide things like milk, meat, leather and wool is somehow abhorent to a lot of people.

Yet the government putting these gentle giants in harness to pull a few tons of metal, wood and people up and down along a pink concrete road in the middle of traffic, in all weathers, for a handful of tourists is acceptable?

And have you seen the state of the stables? This is the heritage tourist attraction we are promoting?

Which bit are you angry about? 

the prize for the Islands shortest cycle lane must be to the new left turn and arrow painted  on the highway  at the  entrance of the Western civic amenity site  at St Johns , 

just altered the old railway lines crossing  laid 100 + yards of  yellow lines in the countryside  with tactile  paving for blind cyclists ,  case of shutting the stable door after a tragic event , and now utterly over the top ,  if the job had been done properly in the first place there would have been no need to waste all this money ,and still no one in DOI  walks for negligence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what the **** the Lezayre Road cycle lane -that begins in the DOI depot, meanders across the road and then waxes and wanes for a while before disappearing - is all about.

It is not a cycle lane, although it does have the hallmark of a DoI installation. Because the trail starts in the depot, I assume that a large can of white paint on the back of a truck fell over as the truck departed.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly. Are you expected to stay out  this lane even though there are no cyclists in it whilst waiting for an articulated lorry that is taking up three quarters of the other available road space to crash into you?

presumably not as it's a broken line. But I've never heard any official reference to it, it's beyond shoddy and at stages so narrow as to be dangerous for any cyclist adhering to it.

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It is not a cycle lane, although it does have the hallmark of a DoI installation. Because the trail starts in the depot, I assume that a large can of white paint on the back of a truck fell over as the truck departed.

What is it then? the bit emerging out of the depot is obviously a cock up, but what about the rest of it? 

40 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Horses are happier when they are working just like sheep dogs you are an idiot

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

I am all for increasing the limit, provided that the rider completes CBT, wears a helmet, pays road tax and has insurance. Otherwise, 250 watts it is. 

LOL, that's already the situation for bikes more than 250 watts, so your increase is pointless.

Electric motorcycles are also a separate class where everything you've specified is already mandatory.

Increasing the wattage for pedal-assisted e-bikes to 750w doesn't turn them into motorcycles - the bottom-end electric moped equivalent is throttle-controlled and typically has around 4000 watts, electric motorcycles in the A2 class typically have 34000 watts or more. We're talking about a pedal-assisted bicycle, so it's odd that it seems you feel so threatened, and that you think over-regulation is the answer.

Edited by The Bastard

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

I have an explanation that I was offered for this recently, I thought it was a cycle lane too and did post this a few months ago.

The story I was subsequently told was that a DOI operative drove a line-marking machine out of the depot and proceeded towards Ramsey, not realising that he had the paint dispensing equipment engaged. He got as far as the "K" tree on the TT course at the conker fields before he realised the error.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I have an explanation that I was offered for this recently, I thought it was a cycle lane too and did post this a few months ago.

The story I was subsequently told was that a DOI operative drove a line-marking machine out of the depot and proceeded towards Ramsey, not realising that he had the paint dispensing equipment engaged. He got as far as the "K" tree on the TT course at the conker fields before he realised the error.

And it's left there til it wears out. Potentially confusing and, at a pinch admittedly, confusing to young cyclists. And to all intents it is a cycle lane without planning.  Great work, DOI.