NY Times Article

Amadeus

52 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm unsure whether educating today's young kids at a Manx language school, funded by the taxpayer, is what we should be doing. There's no OFSTED inspection either. Perhaps someone could convince me.

There's no OFSTED inspection of any schools on the Island as far as I know.  Do you think they should stop funding the English language schools for the same reason?

Yes, language learning stimulates and develops a certain part of the brain which can provide useful benefits. As far as I'm aware, nobody is forced to learn Manx as part of their compulsory education either, which is more than can be said for some of the other useless crap they are taught. The point is it's not useless crap to everyone. It forms part of a full and balanced education.

I learnt Latin at school, centuries after it was dead, for what purpose I can't tell you. I think the excuse was that English was derived from it. I actually quite enjoyed it although I haven't used it since. I do know people who drop the odd word into conversation because it makes them sound posh - personally that always reminds me of Del Boy's French.

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes, language learning stimulates and develops a certain part of the brain which can provide useful benefits. As far as I'm aware, nobody is forced to learn Manx as part of their compulsory education either, which is more than can be said for some of the other useless crap they are taught. The point is it's not useless crap to everyone. It forms part of a full and balanced education.

I learnt Latin at school, centuries after it was dead, for what purpose I can't tell you. I think the excuse was that English was derived from it. I actually quite enjoyed it although I haven't used it since. I do know people who drop the odd word into conversation because it makes them sound posh - personally that always reminds me of Del Boy's French.

I did Latin for a couple of years. Great for learning about grammar, which applies to many of the local European languages, and some of it has filtered through to English. And many words in the medical lexicon have Latin or Greek roots (not that it’s particularly useful to know that a little bone in the wrist is apparently shaped like a boat, which is where it got its name)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I did Latin for a couple of years. Great for learning about grammar, which applies to many of the local European languages, and some of it has filtered through to English. And many words in the medical lexicon have Latin or Greek roots (not that it’s particularly useful to know that a little bone in the wrist is apparently shaped like a boat, which is where it got its name)

Yes medicine and law are full of it. Don't think it does any harm really. There's an argument, especially for law I think, that replacing it with plain modern English would make things more accessible which I think the law should definitely be. 

Did you find the strange Latin and Greek names you learned about in medicine added to the mysterious allure of the subject? It's always nice to appreciate the history and development of a something. In any case you'd have to call that little bone in the wrist something so may as well stick with it. I wonder if any of today's acronyms will last as long.

What's the bone in the wrist called BTW?

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes medicine and law are full of it. Don't think it does any harm really. There's an argument, especially for law I think, that replacing it with plain modern English would make things more accessible which I think the law should definitely be. 

Did you find the strange Latin and Greek names you learned about in medicine added to the mysterious allure of the subject? It's always nice to appreciate the history and development of a something. In any case you'd have to call that little bone in the wrist something so may as well stick with it. I wonder if any of today's acronyms will last as long.

What's the bone in the wrist called BTW?

I did Latin too for a few years, and have always enjoyed seeing how it has been imported into English.  It helps in understanding the meaning of many words.  Etymology it is called, which is probably Greek. 

39 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Russian is a good example.

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I did Latin too for a few years, and have always enjoyed seeing how it has been imported into English.  It helps in understanding the meaning of many words.  Etymology it is called, which is probably Greek. 

You’d probably enjoy Susie Dent’s book ‘Word Perfect’ - one word per day, with a page or so on its history/etymology/usage. An ideal ‘bathroom’ book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1