NY Times Article

Amadeus

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes medicine and law are full of it. Don't think it does any harm really. There's an argument, especially for law I think, that replacing it with plain modern English would make things more accessible which I think the law should definitely be. 

Did you find the strange Latin and Greek names you learned about in medicine added to the mysterious allure of the subject? It's always nice to appreciate the history and development of a something. In any case you'd have to call that little bone in the wrist something so may as well stick with it. I wonder if any of today's acronyms will last as long.

What's the bone in the wrist called BTW?

Not only Medicine and Law , Biology is full of it Taxonomic names are Latin Based

So what good is learning Manx? Yeah, I know the stuff about  learning a language helps all round education, but Chinese or some other such language would be actually useful. Learning Manx just makes people a bit smug and superior on the isle of Man, but otherwise not much use at all.

Learn it as a hobby seems fair enough. Not as a taxpayer funded school.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AOR said:

So what good is learning Manx? Yeah, I know the stuff about  learning a language helps all round education, but Chinese or some other such language would be actually useful. Learning Manx just makes people a bit smug and superior on the isle of Man, but otherwise not much use at all.

Well all the schools are taxpayer funded except KWC & they do learn other things like maths etc & then go to secondary schools 

22 hours ago, AOR said:

It's culture innit. Forms part of a well rounded and balanced education. The chances of Chinese being useful are quite slim too, if you've ever tried to be understood using schoolboy French, a language much more similar to our own and with the same alphabet, you would know that the usefulness of learning Chinese at school would be similar to that of a chocolate teapot.

It's kind of like saying why learn history when we live in the present and are going to the future? Why learn RE if you're not religious? Why do music when it can be created by computers? Why do maths when every phone has a calculator?

Is it perhaps that you don't speak Manx which makes you feel people who do are smug and superior? I don't either but I've never got that impression of those who do? Is your feeling on inferiority a good premise on which to base a school curriculum?

• Like 3

@A fool and his money.....

I was speaking a fair bit of Manx in the 1970s. Yes, I understand your post. I just think Manx should be learned more naturally from friends and parents and as a hobby perhaps. I used to go down Fleshwick farm back in the day, but no need to have Manx speaking schools. 

Perhaps we could dress the kids up in brown shirts and lederhosen sort of thing and go up the hills and plant giant three legs in trees and that. 

Someone wants to ask just how much money has been spent in recent years  by government supporting the bunscooil  and all the other Manx language initiatives     that were previously  funded  by the  volunteer  organisations , it will be  a significant amount , and in the mean time the schools are suffering from a lack of funding , its all about getting our priorities right ,  the language  has seen a resurgence  ,  so let it stand on its own feet now , 

On 11/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, AOR said:

It helps linguistic ability so if at a young age you can be fluent in English and Manx then learning other languages will come naturally. It also helps to promote the Manx identity which is important. It’s not important to me because I just live here and I’m not therefore Manx. But it is very important to those who are Manx born and bred and the language and culture deserve respect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

Someone wants to ask just how much money has been spent in recent years  by government supporting the bunscooil  and all the other Manx language initiatives     that were previously  funded  by the  volunteer  organisations , it will be  a significant amount , and in the mean time the schools are suffering from a lack of funding , its all about getting our priorities right ,  the language  has seen a resurgence  ,  so let it stand on its own feet now , 

I think most of the money that is spent on Manx language initiatives is for the Bunscoill Ghaelgagh and of course the children who go there would be going to other schools if they weren't there and their education would still have to be paid for.  The same thing presumably applies to playgroups and so on, they only get the same support as other playgroups.