NY Times Article

Amadeus

These arguments are often just motivated by self-interest. I don't go pool-swimming often, play squash (since it's not the 1980s) or play bowls, but I don't go on a personal crusade against the Government-funded NSC having a swimming pool, squash courts or bowling green.

Live your own life. If you don't want to speak Manx, don't speak it, but let the growing number of speakers do their own thing. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, AOR said:

So what good is learning Manx? Yeah, I know the stuff about  learning a language helps all round education, but Chinese or some other such language would be actually useful. Learning Manx just makes people a bit smug and superior on the isle of Man, but otherwise not much use at all.

Learn it as a hobby seems fair enough. Not as a taxpayer funded school.

Those kids would still be attending a taxpayer funded school. 

2 hours ago, The Bastard said:

These arguments are often just motivated by self-interest. I don't go pool-swimming often, play squash (since it's not the 1980s) or play bowls, but I don't go on a personal crusade against the Government-funded NSC having a swimming pool, squash courts or bowling green.

Live your own life. If you don't want to speak Manx, don't speak it, but let the growing number of speakers do their own thing. 

To be honest an awful lot of comments on Manx Forums consist of people angrily demanding that everything they do or need should be massively subsidised and everything they don't do or need at the moment should be immediate defunded and banned.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Omobono said:

Someone wants to ask just how much money has been spent in recent years  by government supporting the bunscooil  and all the other Manx language initiatives     that were previously  funded  by the  volunteer  organisations , it will be  a significant amount , and in the mean time the schools are suffering from a lack of funding , its all about getting our priorities right ,  the language  has seen a resurgence  ,  so let it stand on its own feet now , 

The bunscoill is a school, the pupils get the same education that they would in any other school, the only difference is that they're taught in Manx.

I get that you don't see the value of the Manx language and that's fine. It's not compulsory. I really don't get why you are trying to force this view on others though. Many people regard language as a valuable part of culture and identity. It's nor as if we're alone in preserving otherwise dying or dead languages. Irish and Scots Gaelic would both more than likely have died out by now had there not been efforts to preserve them. If you've ever been to France you'd know that the French are (quite rightly) fiercely protective of their language from the increasing use of English as a lingua franca.

Language is extremely important, and on an island which has lost much of its cultural identity in recent decades, mainly driven by economic prosperity, is it really so bad to have an optional, inexpensive revival in something which would otherwise be lost forever? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 11/27/2022 at 11:45 PM, Omobono said:

Someone wants to ask just how much money has been spent in recent years  by government supporting the bunscooil  and all the other Manx language initiatives     that were previously  funded  by the  volunteer  organisations , it will be  a significant amount , and in the mean time the schools are suffering from a lack of funding

Other than the Bunscoill, there's very little funding. The Mooinjer Veggey nursery at Braddan shut down not so very long ago.

The kids at the Bunscoill would otherwise be attending a taxpayer-funded school anyway.

• Like 1