Local Authorities 'no choice'

0bserver

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We've been promised Rates reform for years. They've supposedly been working on it.

For years. Ever since it was realised that valuations from the 1970s were probably no longer applicable.

Wasn't the Island aerial photographed a couple of years ago as part of the process? Perhaps one of our elected could explain how far we are down the line in respect of this reform process and how many more years our government intends to take over reviewing the situation and implementing change?

From memory Chris Thomas was pushing this along with single occupancy but last I had heard it had got to Treasury and it was to complicated for them to be bothered. A few years ago now certainly pre Covid. Its safe to say its not going anywhere which is so wrong. I'm a single occupancy and my water and other utilities are minimal . Mind you if they did make changes you can bet your life they would screw it up big time.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

From memory Chris Thomas was pushing this along with single occupancy but last I had heard it had got to Treasury and it was to complicated for them to be bothered.

iirc It was the uproar about the suggestions of an all island rate or a UK style of banding which required someone to come round and take details of the property for assessment. As continuation of the current practice was deemed "unfair' it was choked with nowhere to turn.  

I think next year's rate rises will ignite the same discussions but it will have to wait for the next administration given the current Government membership. Too toxic.

• Like 1

I would love to find a legal way for taxpayers and every other type of "tax" revenue to be paid into an account, but withheld from Government access, until they proved unequivocally that their attitude towards 'other peoples money' had changed !

Wholesale waste continues on madcap schemes and maintaining petty unnecessary bureaucracy , with swathes of staff employed at public expense. Meanwhile the important stuff goes to hell in a handcart !

I had great hopes of Alf sorting this out but we have fallen back into the same old same old !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Makes you wonder what PE can cut back on. There’s literally bugger all there. 

They own the golf course which is rented by club at low rent apparently, perhaps if they rented out the many empty council houses they would have more income coming in!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

They own the golf course which is rented by club at low rent apparently, perhaps if they rented out the many empty council houses they would have more income coming in!

Are there a lot of empty council houses?  Is it because no one wants them or because the selection process is difficult/they need work/the Commissioners CBA? 

21 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Are there a lot of empty council houses?  Is it because no one wants them or because the selection process is difficult/they need work/the Commissioners CBA? 

A private landlord would have a house turned round and relet within 7-14 days. Unfortunately social housing takes 3-6 months

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There’s plenty in port Erin been empty for over 12 months & probably all the other authorities.

What happens is someone vacates a perfectly habitable house with carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings etc & after several months Commissioners hire private contractors to go in & strip everything out & chuck it n the skip.

The house then stays empty until they can eventually be bothered to check it & then many months later they will actually ask those on long waiting lists if they want it. The new tenant then has to pay to carpet, put curtains etc etc up.

I know this from experience if elderly relatives who went to nursing homes. When challenged as to why they dumped everything they say is health & safety policy!! Surely they could just ask those on waiting lists if they want it as is, if house has been left wrecked that’s different.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

3-6 months of lost rent proving again that they have no handle on finance

Forget the rent, as social housing is run at a loss, and subsidised out of central tax. It’s 40-60 families a year on the housing waiting list when they needn’t be.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s plenty in port Erin been empty for over 12 months & probably all the other authorities.

What happens is someone vacates a perfectly habitable house with carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings etc & after several months Commissioners hire private contractors to go in & strip everything out & chuck it n the skip.

The house then stays empty until they can eventually be bothered to check it & then many months later they will actually ask those on long waiting lists if they want it. The new tenant then has to pay to carpet, put curtains etc etc up.

I know this from experience if elderly relatives who went to nursing homes. When challenged as to why they dumped everything they say is health & safety policy!! Surely they could just ask those on waiting lists if they want it as is, if house has been left wrecked that’s different.

It does seem unnecessarily wasteful.  Is it to do with being 'unfurnished' or that people were complaining about the carpets etc if left there and wanting replacements? 

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Forget the rent, as social housing is run at a loss, and subsidised out of central tax. It’s 40-60 families a year on the housing waiting list when they needn’t be.

I would expect there’s 100s of perfectly habitable council houses available around the island & something Chris Thomas needs to get sorted ASAP 

• Like 1