Local Authorities 'no choice'

0bserver

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

It does seem unnecessarily wasteful.  Is it to do with being 'unfurnished' or that people were complaining about the carpets etc if left there and wanting replacements? 

They say health & safety of old carpets etc!! As I mentioned ask those on waiting lists if they want them first, obviously if bad tenants in previously then strip them. Carpeting house is expensive particularly if you have no money 

Just now, Banker said:

They say health & safety of old carpets etc!! As I mentioned ask those on waiting lists if they want them first, obviously if bad tenants in previously then strip them. Carpeting house is expensive particularly if you have no money 

Well quite.  Get them cleaned, which will cost but in comparison to the cost of getting rid?   I suppose the issue is that if they leave them in some houses but remove them from others when they are past it, would incoming tenants expect the carpets to be replaced?  Would others argue that the carpet should be removed and replaced? 

I kind of 'get' a blanket policy, it removes a lot of hassle, but it does seem very wasteful and should not delay getting tenants housed. 

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

They could stop their endless obsession with fireworks. 

We could go to fortnightly bin collection with recycling. 

Sell off the listed building on long lease with consent to knock down and build something worthy

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well quite.  Get them cleaned, which will cost but in comparison to the cost of getting rid?   I suppose the issue is that if they leave them in some houses but remove them from others when they are past it, would incoming tenants expect the carpets to be replaced?  Would others argue that the carpet should be removed and replaced? 

I kind of 'get' a blanket policy, it removes a lot of hassle, but it does seem very wasteful and should not delay getting tenants housed. 

I've never rented a private dwelling where carpets etc are renewed. It's take it or leave it there's plenty of other takers.

Over the years that we have had our own house we just have to wait for renewals until we can afford it, sometimes never.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Nice to have is  going , Pulrose golf course? Some staff , bins collection? What?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/commissioners-nice-to-have-things-will-have-to-go/I’m 

First I'd like to see a chart to show how many people are employed by Douglas Borough Corporation and what exactly they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably need an FOI to obtain that information!!

We can get a list of people who live in Douglas (or anywhere else for that matter) but not one for who provides the services.  So we know what is being done to us, just not by who, or why.

Edited by Apple