Local Authorities 'no choice'

0bserver

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The workers on the ground would still be needed. 

Trouble is they have gotten rid of the workers on the ground in cost saving initiatives. Now they have 120 people who can fit toner cartridges for the printers but only 1 who can dig a hole. Just look at DOI got rid of 2 thirds of their staff, guess how many were office staff. Three would be my calculation or takeon anothet 63 to manage all the out sourcing contracts that cannot be filled because everybody else had same idea.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

Stay out of 'our' City then!!!! Get back to your own district and do your weekly shop in the Andreas corner shop!!!

It's probably you 'out of towners' that cause the long queues in 'our' Tesco? Should be higher prices for you lot!

You come into our City with your mud covered Lada doing 18mph everywhere running over cyclists because you've never seen a lycra covered bum before!

50k people from Dlas and 'suburbs' contribute to Dlas rates, shopping, commuting to work and seeking entertainment, we don't need you Govvags?

Get back to your own district!!!

Tongue in cheek?   Maybe?

Fine by me!

I go into Douglas maybe three or four times a year, to go to the dentist or visit a government department. When there I might do a bit of shopping, which contributes to "your" rates. I take the bus, thereby not contributing to "your" abysmal parking problem.

You can have Douglas; just don't combine my functional local government with your dysfunctional shit-show. No thank you! 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes that'll be why Douglas (pop 26,677) has 20 employees on over £50K while Onchan (pop 9,039) has only 1 rather than 7.  Even on a smaller level, when Arbory and Rushen merged, rather than sharing the same Clerk, they suddenly discovered they needed a Deputy Clerk as well.

Yet the same people endlessly repeat that bigger must automatically be more efficient, no matter how many times counter-examples are pointed out to them

Of course bigger doesn't necessarily mean more efficient. Right-sizing and getting rid of duplication will though.

They all set their own rates and if anything is going to encourage a silo mentality that is it.

A top-down review of authorities as a whole entity would probably be a worthwhile exercise mind...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Of course bigger doesn't necessarily mean more efficient. Right-sizing and getting rid of duplication will though.

They all set their own rates and if anything is going to encourage a silo mentality that is it.

A top-down review of authorities as a whole entity would probably be a worthwhile exercise mind...

Everyone has been shouting for local authorities/rates reform for decades but problem is rural MHKS won’t support it 

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

Because their voters won’t like it because their rates would go up

It's all a case of getting what you pay for plus national concerns being centrally funded by government.

Now divvying up between local and national funding could get tricky. However I would expect the Capital City to be more expensive simply because they are. Mind you, they get all the advantages like a vibrant nightlife and club scene. Many's the time I would like to cruise into Douglas and take in a show and then maybe do a club or two. You know what I mean "Table Service! A bottle of Dom P and a table by the band please..."

Etc...

• Haha 1

The inherent culture of most LAs is opportunist expansion though. Expansion of their area of jurisdiction, expansion of their Rates take and finances arising in particular, expansion of the administration and workforce to cope with extra responsibility. That's without any jobs for mates as well. All trying to prove that they can do it better than the authority next door or better than central government.