The Next Labour Govt In London

genericUserName

So within two years London is almost certain to have a Labour Party government. I am interested to know how people think that will impact the Isle of Man.

I know that historically the island has, perhaps counter-intuitively, typically enjoyed surprisingly good relationships with Labour governments. And I know that there will be many here who probably think it is time for change.

One big difference compared with 1997 is that the incoming Labour government is unlikely to inherit an economy which is starting to boom. They will face the same economic constraints as the current government and an economy which is total mess thanks to the world situation and Brexit.

Is that going to be a good thing or a bad thing for the IOM. Should we be preparing?

1 hour ago, genericUserName said:

So within two years London is almost certain to have a Labour Party government. I am interested to know how people think that will impact the Isle of Man.

I know that historically the island has, perhaps counter-intuitively, typically enjoyed surprisingly good relationships with Labour governments. And I know that there will be many here who probably think it is time for change.

One big difference compared with 1997 is that the incoming Labour government is unlikely to inherit an economy which is starting to boom. They will face the same economic constraints as the current government and an economy which is total mess thanks to the world situation and Brexit.

Is that going to be a good thing or a bad thing for the IOM. Should we be preparing?

I think it's a big assumption to say we will have a labour government in the UK. Personally I think it's unlikely. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think it's a big assumption to say we will have a labour government in the UK. Personally I think it's unlikely. 

That's an unusual position. What is your thinking?

Even (or perhaps especially) the Conservative Party is expecting Labour to win - which is partly why the deepest cuts to public services have been postponed until after the General Election. Also note all of the Conservative MPs announcing that they are standing down. + Prof John Curtice, the bookies etc.

The wind has changed. As it does.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

“London is almost certain to have a Labour Party government” . Do you mean the UK?

There have been Labour governments throughout the decades. Through the UK the insidious EU has impacted the Isle of Man to the extent it has,  in shaping its laws,poking its nose into financial regulation here etc
So I would be surprised if the constitutional  ( and practical) relationship between the UK and the IOM were to significantly change were Labour to win a UK general election 

• Like 1

This UK Government has bequeathed the worst economic position to the next Government in many a year. Doesn't matter who gets in as the impact will be the same. 

In terms though of expectations of trust, openness, dealing with the electorate in an honest fashion and curtailing all their privileged and self indulgent practices and defensive stances that exempt them from any realistic sort of accountability then I think things will be very much the same (secrecy, homelessness, repossessions, more food banks, rising health care problems, energy cut offs , public services reductions, and generally overall more hardships except for the elite. Oh, and increased bankers bonuses.🤫

Thank goodness it can't happen here. 😀