The Next Labour Govt In London

genericUserName

5 hours ago, hoopsaa said:

Not just him though, is it?

Starmer is so wooden he's like a human spatula, while on the inside  he's an airdancer, flip-flopping all over the place.

Davey, the fake fall into the lake, all so he could deliver a really shit punchline, but no-ones listening anyway, Ed.

You put Farage in a public debate with that lot (and no, he has no place in that debate per se), and on oratory and charisma alone he wipes the floor with them.

But let's face it, the uk's political elite made Sturgeon look good, for a while...

Sadly true. I've wondered if it's an age thing. Maybe we are more open to believing our leaders are statesmanlike when we are younger. As years go by we become more cynical and realise that they are self-serving tossers. I'm not wholly convinced by this argument - yet.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Apologies for the delay. 

Kinnock's tumble on the shingle happening in 1983, so not really likely likely to affect the result nine years and two elections later.  What was always said to have an effect on the 1992 result was his triumphalism at the Sheffield Rally.  In reality the polls were a lot closer than people remember and there was clearly a 'shy Tory' factor that ended up giving Major a small majority.

His "Here we go" performance on stage there was excruciating. At least he had the grace to admit as much afterwards.

28 minutes ago, woolley said:

Sadly true. I've wondered if it's an age thing. Maybe we are more open to believing our leaders are statesmanlike when we are younger. As years go by we become more cynical and realise that they are self-serving tossers. I'm not wholly convinced by this argument - yet.

Well if that was the case, then the current young would be "believing our leaders are statesmanlike".  Does this strike you as describing the current situation?  I'd hang on to your scepticism.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if that was the case, then the current young would be "believing our leaders are statesmanlike".  Does this strike you as describing the current situation?  I'd hang on to your scepticism.

That is one factor holding me back, for sure, but then the young are overwhelmingly disengaged and turned off by traditional politics anyway. Another factor at work is the general decline in standards in society more widely, so why should we expect politicians be any different?

15 hours ago, wrighty said:

Is this the Diane Abbott row or something else?

All the Tories need is Keir Starmer to fall in the sea on Brighton Beach and it’ll be 1992 all over again. (If I’ve got my historical analogy wrong there I’m sure @Roger Mexico will be along shortly to put me right 😉)

Just a general feeling that Labour weren't ready for the Conservatives to promise the geriatric vote a quadruple lock/higher tax allowances... then in general they seem to have no energy. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Just a general feeling that Labour weren't ready for the Conservatives to promise the geriatric vote a quadruple lock/higher tax allowances... then in general they seem to have no energy. 

Does that fool anyone though? The UK state pension still has a couple of grand to go before it reaches the UK tax free allowance even with the allowance frozen. That'll probably see out the next government, so it's a quite meaningless pledge. Apart from which it will piss off anyone who's a long way off their pension because it suggests pensioners are in for higher allowances than workers. Sounds like it came from the same numpty as dreamed up the national service plan.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:39 PM, woolley said:

As some one over here this pretty much descibes my feelings of how this election will go...

T

• 5 weeks later...

So, they have done it.  I decided to look at the manifesto and found -

p 120 - Labour will also work with our allies and international financial centres to tackle corruption and money laundering, including in Britain, Crown Dependencies, and in British Overseas Territories.

p 21 - We will modernise HMRC and change the law to tackle tax avoidance. We will increase registration and reporting requirements, strengthen HMRC’s powers, invest in new technology and build capacity within HMRC. This, combined with a renewed focus on tax avoidance by large businesses and the wealthy, will begin to close the tax gap and ensure everyone pays their fair share.

Not necessarily bad for us, but our government and senior civil servants will have their work cut out to position the Island safely.

People in my sector remember how the last Labour government shafted us with the EU by agreeing to us being covered by a project (Code of Conduct on Business Taxation) without consulting us in advance.

• Like 1

We may not be f--ked. But it may compel our lot to start exhibiting some fiscal responsibility in governance which would be no bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

We are well and truly f….d that is the truth of the matter.

Dont be silly.

Hooefujlly we will see quite a few new residents.  A family member who is an estate agent reports quite a few enquiries from wealthy brits recently citing a Labour goverment as their reason for looking to relocate.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Dont be silly.

Hooefujlly we will see quite a few new residents.  A family member who is an estate agent reports quite a few enquiries from wealthy brits recently citing a Labour goverment as their reason for looking to relocate.

Just what the island needs, wealthy tax dodgers pushing up the property prices on the island…

• Like 4