The Next Labour Govt In London

genericUserName

11 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Are you aware how much they have contributed to the local economy and charities?

Its a very significant amount.

I'm aware of the shit that they drag the Island's name through. And I don't see Mone's yacht moored in Douglas Harbour paying harbour dues.

They are here for tax avoidance reasons, not philanthropic duties.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm aware of the shit that they drag the Island's name through. And I don't see Mone's yacht moored in Douglas Harbour paying harbour dues.

They are here for tax avoidance reasons, not philanthropic duties.

Nobody off the island thinks any less of us because they live here.  Most people don’t even know who they are or cares where they live.

Their net contribution to the economy since Doug and Emma first moved here will be tens of millions of pounds.  Probably more than every active poster on this forums contribution combined over our entire lifetimes. (Assuming Doug doesn’t have an account)

Edited by Roger Ram
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

No bother.  They pay a significant amount of additional revenue to government if they buy one over a local whois going to live in it, and the island is desperate for rental properties at the moment.

The fact you think it's better for an HNWI from the UK to buy up local properties for rent than it is for actual local families to actually live in them says it all really doesn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, HeliX said:

The fact you think it's better for an HNWI from the UK to buy up local properties for rent than it is for actual local families to actually live in them says it all really doesn't it?

HNWI?

HNWI’s don’t waste their time buying a 200k house to rent out.  That’s a very middle class pastime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Ram said:

HNWI?

HNWI’s don’t waste their time buying a 200k house to rent out.  That’s a very middle class pastime.

The middle class aren't running away from a Labour Government. The people who are were who you were talking about.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Nobody off the island thinks any less of us because they live here.  Most people don’t even know who they are or cares where they live.

Their net contribution to the economy since Doug and Emma first moved here will be tens of millions of pounds.  Probably more than every active poster on this forums contribution combined over our entire lifetimes. (Assuming Doug doesn’t have an account)

On first name terms are we? Very telling.

Does anyone ever ask where these "tens of millions of pounds" come from? PPE Medpro perhaps? Arrangements to relieve ex service personnel of their pensions?

No of course not, it's all just out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The middle class aren't running away from a Labour Government. The people who are were who you were talking about.

I was talking about people who have been in touch with the estate agent I am related to.

You have assumed what type of people they are.

Just now, Roger Ram said:

I was talking about people who have been in touch with the estate agent I am related to.

You have assumed what type of people they are.

You described them as "wealthy Brits" who "bring businesses with them". I didn't assume anything.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

You described them as "wealthy Brits" who "bring businesses with them". I didn't assume anything.

Yes you did.  You jumped to HNWI, which is very different to a wealthy person with a business who is the sort of person you find a couple of in most pubs most weekends.

Just now, Roger Ram said:

Yes you did.  You jumped to HNWI, which is very different to a wealthy person with a business who is the sort of person you find a couple of in most pubs most weekends.

Ok, the fact you think it's better for "wealthy Brits" who "bring businesses with them" from the UK to buy up local properties for rent than it is for actual local families to actually live in them says it all really doesn't it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Ok, the fact you think it's better for "wealthy Brits" who "bring businesses with them" from the UK to buy up local properties for rent than it is for actual local families to actually live in them says it all really doesn't it?

It says I am a realist, who understands that we need people to buy property to rent out or lots of locals wouldn’t have anywhere to live.

Have you tried renting a house recently?  There is hardly any supply so the prices are sky high.

1 minute ago, Roger Ram said:

It says I am a realist, who understands that we need people to buy property to rent out or lots of locals wouldn’t have anywhere to live.

Have you tried renting a house recently?  There is hardly any supply so the prices are sky high.

Because lots of people who want to buy houses are stuck in rental properties because the prices are too high. And the prices are too high because of people buying up the supply of houses as investments.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Because lots of people who want to buy houses are stuck in rental properties because the prices are too high. And the prices are too high because of people buying up the supply of houses as investments.

Ok.

Lets just have less rental properties than the market needs and see the prices soar then so that nobody can ever save.

There is a balance to be struck, and the market needs landlords.  The government have already bought in disincentives to make it harder for landlords to buy.  What more do you want them to do?