The Next Labour Govt In London

genericUserName

11 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I'm not really sure what the issue is with what Starmer said today. It's bad news so of course people don't like to hear it. 

But the UK is in a masive financial mess. You can argue until the cows come home about who is to blame, but the reality is we are where we are. The UK is going to have to cut its cloth accordingly. 

Yes the public sector pay rises may seem questionable, but could we carry on with endless strikes crippling the health system and transport infrastructure? 

If you want decent public services then they have to be paid for one way or another. There's no endless pot of money. 

We're going to have a similar realisation on the IOM before too long.

Harder to digest on island due to the 'location tax' I.e. cost of travel, goods etc. That said I can see a 25% income tax rate coming

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Harder to digest on island due to the 'location tax' I.e. cost of travel, goods etc. That said I can see a 25% income tax rate coming

I hate to say it, but I think you may be right. Added to that will be the NHS/Manx Care surcharge.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

So, I am full of shit? 

Just massively pedantic in this instance. 65 used to be the state pension retirement age. It was used as an example. It’s now up to 68 depending on when you were born. Woo hoo to you for being so unbelievably picky. The point still stands that no NI is paid if you elect to work past state retirement age which used to be 65.

Edited by Luker

28 minutes ago, Luker said:

Just massively pedantic in this instance. 65 used to be the state pension retirement age. It was used as an example. It’s now up to 68 depending on when you were born. Woo hoo to you for being so unbelievably picky. The point still stands that no NI is paid if you elect to work past state retirement age which used to be 65.

And it's the same for everyone? Public or private service. 

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The Island has contributions to its financial mess of its own, completely unnecessary making. It could have been so different and we could have been in a far healthier position.

7 hours ago, Luker said:

65 for men and 60 for women, actually. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Luker said:

It will hopefully stop all the greedy public sector workers taking retirement then coming back on contract and paying no NI on their second government salary as they’re retired. 

That's why. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Only potentially for high income earners eg £100k+ which still compares favourably to UK rates of 40% on over c£43k. Also inheritance, capital gains and other taxes are going to go up considerably in UK and none here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

And it's the same for everyone? Public or private service. 

Yes Class C contributions mean that employees over state retirement age (currently 66) pay nothing.  Employers still pay NI for them though, whether public or private (there were rumours around IOMG not paying their contributions into the fund at one time, but I don't know if anything was ever proved).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The Island has contributions to its financial mess of its own, completely unnecessary making. It could have been so different and we could have been in a far healthier position.

Human nature never changes unfortunately.