The Next Labour Govt In London

genericUserName

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

I anticipate some sort of financial help, local schools wouldn’t be able to cope as parents are already complaining about large class sizes now.

Really, I haven't heard any complaints, do you have a link or is it more of your pure fantasy?

All this is assuming the move causes the closure of KWC, which it probably wouldn't anyway 

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Twitch said:

My back of my fag packet calculation reckoned about an additional £1.5 million per year to Treasury from this VAT. That's enough to pay for another 10 civil servants..

Or the pensions of existing ones. That will take priority.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Banker said:

According to many news reports fuel duty to rise by 5p per litre in October to raise funds, IOM will also get extra windfall.

Plus VAT. 
In reality, it is just putting the rate back to what it was before the 5P cut a few years ago. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Sorry, but if you decide to pay to send your kids to a private school that is your choice. You can choose not to send them, especially when (in general) the standard of state school education here is good.

Schools had to close not so long ago due to insufficient teachers. There are many words to describe the school situation here but good isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-starmer-labour-riots-parliament-conservative-leadership-jenrick-police-live-12593360?postid=8195315#liveblog-body

Labour planning to revise and enhance smoking ban in public spaces - the IOM will follow suit. 

You can be assured of the Hospitality Sector lobbying MHKs against legislating. This will affect pub gardens, outside spaces, smoking shelters etc.

As a non smoker I am indifferent, if people wish to smoke, it’s their choice and their bodies. What I don’t like is smoking cannabis in open spaces - this affects people like cigarette smoke - could we expect firm action from the police? 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-latest-starmer-labour-riots-parliament-conservative-leadership-jenrick-police-live-12593360?postid=8195315#liveblog-body

Labour planning to revise and enhance smoking ban in public spaces - the IOM will follow suit. 

You can be assured of the Hospitality Sector lobbying MHKs against legislating. This will affect pub gardens, outside spaces, smoking shelters etc.

As a non smoker I am indifferent, if people wish to smoke, it’s their choice and their bodies

Whilst it all sounds very good and easy to implement, who’s going to police it!, we can’t even police staff& patients from smoking on hospital grounds even though it’s banned, anyone going to UK hospitals will see many patients, visitors etc smoking outside main entrance.

Are police going to come if someone lights up on a golf course or in the park?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As a non smoker I am indifferent, if people wish to smoke, it’s their choice and their bodies. What I don’t like is smoking cannabis in open spaces - this affects people like cigarette smoke - could we expect firm action from the police? 

i'd have thought the loss of duty/tax if everyone stops smoking would make that idea a non starter

Brains of Mann, Treasury Minister Allinson has been on the NPM telling us that the Treasury will assess the impact of the UK budget on the Island. The Treasury should be modelling several scenarios before the budget, then assess impacts after it’s been announced. From the NPM -

The last couple of years have been challenging, and I don't see that ending soon", says minister

The treasury minister believes the next couple of years 'will be challenging', and that many governments across Western Europe are facing similar difficulties.

Earlier this week, UK Prime Minister Kier Starmer warned of a 'painful' autumn budget but insists his election pledge not to hike VAT or National Insurance would be kept.

Minister Dr Alex Allinson says the Manx government will continue to monitor the situation but notes fiscal decisions made in Westminster can still directly impact the Island.

But he remains optimistic, telling Manx Radio the Isle of Man has a "very resilient economy":

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Brains of Mann, Treasury Minister Allinson has been on the NPM telling us that the Treasury will assess the impact of the UK budget on the Island. The Treasury should be modelling several scenarios before the budget, then assess impacts after it’s been announced. From the NPM -

The last couple of years have been challenging, and I don't see that ending soon", says minister

The treasury minister believes the next couple of years 'will be challenging', and that many governments across Western Europe are facing similar difficulties.

Earlier this week, UK Prime Minister Kier Starmer warned of a 'painful' autumn budget but insists his election pledge not to hike VAT or National Insurance would be kept.

Minister Dr Alex Allinson says the Manx government will continue to monitor the situation but notes fiscal decisions made in Westminster can still directly impact the Island.

But he remains optimistic, telling Manx Radio the Isle of Man has a "very resilient economy":

So you’re posting what is a sensible approach by treasury minister!

• Haha 1