Do local shops want business?

Steady Eddie

Reading the Amazon delivery thread you can see there is a clear advantage for any local retailers if they want to supply people quicker than Amazon (especially with the post strikes) but on todays experience I have to question whether any of them even want any business. Went into the Apple Shop at Victory House this afternoon as I wanted to buy a new IPad Pro. The shop was empty save for three staff members gassing at the till. I was in there over 5 minutes in a completely empty shop looking to spend £1000 yet not one of them could be arsed stopping gassing and talking nonsense with each other to even attempt to ask if I wanted help with anything. So £1000 sale lost when we’re told the high street is suffering and everyone is desperate for cash. Completely embarrassing. If you really aren’t interested in trade just close up shop. 

Edited by Steady Eddie
Typo
  • Like 5

Just now, Steady Eddie said:

Reading the Amazon delivery thread you can see there is a clear advantage for any local retailers if they want to supply quicker people than Amazon (especially with the post strikes) but on todays experience I have to question whether any of them even want any business. Went into the Apple Shop at Victory House this afternoon as I wanted to buy a new IPad Pro. The shop was empty save for three staff members gassing at the till. I was in there over 5 minutes in a completely empty shop looking to spend £1000 yet not one of them could be arsed stopping gassing and talking nonsense with each other to even attempt to even asking if I wanted help with anything. So £1000 sale lost when we’re told the high street is suffering and everyone is desperate for cash. Completely embarrassing. If you really aren’t interested in trade just close up shop. 

Did you approach them to ask for assistance or did you just write a passive aggressive rant online? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I want to discuss the range of options and specs. The shop is literally empty. There are three staff members basically ignoring their only customer but somehow that’s my fault? 

Well lots of people don’t like being approached, just open your mouth like you do on here instead of whining !!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Well lots of people don’t like being approached, just open your mouth like you do on here instead of whining !!

I’m not whining I’m simply expressing exasperation that when online shopping is so simple it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of a local retailer to make it easy for people to shop in their shop. Especially when clearly they aren’t busy anyway. Staff talking in a huddle is simply rude and basically sends out the message that they’re not interested in assisting you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I’m not whining I’m simply expressing exasperation that when online shopping is so simple it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of a local retailer to make it easy for people to shop in their shop. Especially when clearly they aren’t busy anyway. Staff talking in a huddle is simply rude and basically sends out the message that they’re not interested in assisting you. 

It's bad that they didn't ask you if you wanted to help. I agree. They need a kick up the arse.  But you not asking for help makes you almost as silly as they are don't you think? 

• Like 3

Difficult to get it right I imagine. Most people go into Apple shops to play on the latest gear with no intention of buying. I for one don’t like shop assistants coming up to me all the time asking if I need help - if I do I ask, or make eye contact.

Did you go to the counter and say “I’d like an iPad please”? If so and you were still ignored I agree with you. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Did you go to the counter and say “I’d like an iPad please”? If so and you were still ignored I agree with you. 

No because they were all talking and laughing and joking with each other. It was a clear message that they weren’t interested in serving me as talking to each other was obviously much more important. I can buy an iPad elsewhere I don’t need to interrupt a load of gassing teenagers in an empty shop to do it. 

• Like 1