Do local shops want business?

Steady Eddie

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well I went onto Jackson's today. I had £150k in my pocket. I was going to pay cash for a new Audi. I was in there 5 mins but no one asked if I wanted an Audi. So I left. Their loss eh?

How big are your pockets!

Every time I've been in Jackson's I've been piled on with the hard sell!

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well I went onto Jackson's today. I had £150k in my pocket. I was going to pay cash for a new Audi. I was in there 5 mins but no one asked if I wanted an Audi. So I left. Their loss eh?

Was the £150k Audi san-indicators or do you have to pay for an upgrade to get those removed?

50 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Reading the Amazon delivery thread you can see there is a clear advantage for any local retailers if they want to supply people quicker than Amazon (especially with the post strikes) but on todays experience I have to question whether any of them even want any business. Went into the Apple Shop at Victory House this afternoon as I wanted to buy a new IPad Pro. The shop was empty save for three staff members gassing at the till. I was in there over 5 minutes in a completely empty shop looking to spend £1000 yet not one of them could be arsed stopping gassing and talking nonsense with each other to even attempt to ask if I wanted help with anything. So £1000 sale lost when we’re told the high street is suffering and everyone is desperate for cash. Completely embarrassing. If you really aren’t interested in trade just close up shop. 

They can’t win.  

If they had approached some people there would be a post here saying they wanted to browse and were jumped on by sales people.

they should have made eye contact and acknowledged you when you went in, but beyond that these days most people have the people to ask if they need help, rather than be approached by staff.

Would you expect someone to come and ask if you wanted help if you were browsing in M&S or sports direct?  What’s the difference?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Difficult to get it right I imagine. Most people go into Apple shops to play on the latest gear with no intention of buying. I for one don’t like shop assistants coming up to me all the time asking if I need help - if I do I ask, or make eye contact.

Did you go to the counter and say “I’d like an iPad please”? If so and you were still ignored I agree with you. 

+1   ,   the last time i was approached asking if i needed help i said they could carry me around if they liked.   what i find even more annoying is you get to a till ,,, currys or game as examples and you get a spiel and 20 questions as they try and sell you insurance, and want your email for the receipt etc etc ,  i usually say i receive enough junk emails as it is thanks , alternatively i get in first, say no half a dozen times and ask them if we are at the paying and leaving stage yet.

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No way on earth did this happen in Jackson’s.  They are the opposite.  Trying to just browse in there without being accosted by a salesperson is impossible.  You would do well to get past reception 

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Would you expect someone to come and ask if you wanted help if you were browsing in M&S or sports direct?  What’s the difference?

The difference is clear they’re sales staff. The people in M&S aren’t. Nobody in M&S is paid to tell you how many arms a jumper has or what it’s made out of. They’re their to cash your sale. However in this sort of shop they are sales advisors who are there to answer questions you have in order to solicit a sale. No different to the MT or Sure shops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steady Eddie said:

The difference is clear they’re sales staff. The people in M&S aren’t. Nobody in M&S is paid to tell you how many arms a jumper has or what it’s made out of. They’re their to cash your sale. However in this sort of shop they are sales advisors who are there to answer questions you have in order to solicit a sale. No different to the MT or Sure shops. 

In two separate posts you have said to wanted to discuss the range with them (so ask, it really is that simple) and that you can buy an iPad elsewhere without any help?

Do that then.  I really think you are in th minority of you expect them to come up and ask you what you want help with.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, NoTail said:

For a good shopping experience go to Feltons in Ramsey. Jack are very good too.

Do you mean JACS ?

They are great. Bought a Christmas present for a child th other day. Ordered online on Monday, delivered to home by their van on Wednesday. ( free delivery over £15)

I think it's a really difficult balance to be fair. Must be so demoralizing to have folk come in even take photos of your stock then walk out to buy on line. I've even seen people thank sales assistants before telling them they are going to do that. Also unless it's a family business most are paid very little so why would they be any more interested than just enough not to get fired.

Douglas seems like it is set up to slash prices before Christmas. Very little looks at all interesting. Tynwald Mills was pretty good though, with its local craft market and such

• Like 1