Do local shops want business?

Steady Eddie

3 hours ago, Driver2020 said:

I traded a car in a while ago they put over £4,000 on it and sold it. And as for there aftersales absolute shite.

They probably didn't.  They may have listed it for 4k on top of what you got, but will have invariably 'discounted' it so that the next buyer felt that they'd got a deal, and probably spent some time cleaning, fixing, maintaining it to get it ready for a dealership sale. This is what car dealers do.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, wrighty said:

They probably didn't.  They may have listed it for 4k on top of what you got, but will have invariably 'discounted' it so that the next buyer felt that they'd got a deal, and probably spent some time cleaning, fixing, maintaining it to get it ready for a dealership sale. This is what car dealers do.

Before covid it was easy to negotiate with UK car dealers ( or websites like carwow used to do it for you) and even 10 % off list for new cars was possible ..So was worth buying from there/ spending extra for transport / registration etc. 

After covid it became a sellers market and there is not much room for negotiation even in the UK but at  least its not like the US where you end up  with a dealer markup.

But Jacksons often has  a dealer mark up here which you have to haggle down.

Edited by mad_manx

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Jackson’s work to a model. If your trade in is too old or crap it goes straight to auction, if it’s new enough to take the risk it ends up in Motor Mall at a good mark up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Absolutely. It's the only way to stay in business. Some people moan when garages make a margin on a trade in. If they didn't then where would they make their money? 

As you say it's not all straightforward. There are risks. They will make on some deals and lose on some deals. 

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Before covid it was easy to negotiate with UK car dealers ( or websites like carwow used to do it for you) and even 10 % off list for new cars was possible ..So was worth buying from there/ spending extra for transport / registration etc. 

After covid it became a sellers market and there is not much room for negotiation even in the UK but at  least its not like the US where you end up  with a dealer markup.

But Jacksons often has  a dealer mark up here which you have to haggle down.

The shortage of microchips has caused a slowdown in car production. Dealers aren't discounting new cars to any great degree because of this. This has created a shortage of trade ins and hence used cars. This means that they can ask top dollar, and prices are inflated. How long this will last, god knows.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

The shortage of microchips has caused a slowdown in car production. Dealers aren't discounting new cars to any great degree because of this. This has created a shortage of trade ins and hence used cars. This means that they can ask top dollar, and prices are inflated. How long this will last, god knows.  

Apparantly after covid the blame is now on the Russia Ukraine conflict.  Can see many dealers selling   cars in stock well over the manufacturer list price..  People who need PCP deals are willing to pay a premium and take the car right now instead of waiting for a year after they place an order ( and worry about higher rates )

I'm not sure how it works in the IOM but mate in the UK said that the PCP payments are only calculated at  around  the time of delivery of the car. 

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

£400 for an oil change that's where!

They certainly have a reputation for overcharging, lying, incompetence and bullshitting. I hate to say this but having spent my working life in the motor industry, I have to say that I have no faith in them whatsoever. I'd like to think that they had some redeeming features, but in my experience, they are out of their depth!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Apparantly after covid the blame is now on the Russia Ukraine conflict.  Can see many dealers selling   cars in stock well over the manufacturer list price..  People who need PCP deals are willing to pay a premium and take the car right now instead of waiting for a year after they place an order ( and worry about higher rates )

I'm not sure how it works in the IOM but mate in the UK said that the PCP payments are only calculated at  around  the time of delivery of the car. 

That's correct, the lead time for a new car can be up to a year! Although these PCPs are subsidised, they have inflated the price of new cars to cover the finance charges, so we all pay towards those costs, even if we don't take manufacturer finance! 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

What makes you think that they are making money? They can't possibly make money selling cars on the IoM with a facility that size.

The fact that they are still trading suggests they are still making money. The structure that owns it is listed so should be easily trackable. I don’t like their sales practices at all but they’re still here. 

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They certainly have a reputation for overcharging, lying, incompetence and bullshitting. I hate to say this but having spent my working life in the motor industry, I have to say that I have no faith in them whatsoever. I'd like to think that they had some redeeming features, but in my experience, they are out of their depth!

For clarity I was referring to most main stealers not necessarily Jako's..