Do local shops want business?

Steady Eddie

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That's correct, the lead time for a new car can be up to a year! Although these PCPs are subsidised, they have inflated the price of new cars to cover the finance charges, so we all pay towards those costs, even if we don't take manufacturer finance! 

If you think the lead time for a new car can be “up to a year” then you clearly have no idea about the current market.

There are many, many cars which are way over that for a new order, and they aren’t expensive or unusual 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

If you think the lead time for a new car can be “up to a year” then you clearly have no idea about the current market.

There are many, many cars which are way over that for a new order, and they aren’t expensive or unusual 

20 months on my 911 :(

Apparently it's 24months for a Dacia Duster, so clearly I made the sensible choice.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I'm actually quite in touch, about a year for a Golf GTI was what I was basing it on, Porsche etc was eight months from allocation, now it's two years or more. Some cars are easier than others but as you say, some not very special cars are seriously wrong. I guess it's down to the influence of the manufacturer?

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

The fact that they are still trading suggests they are still making money. The structure that owns it is listed so should be easily trackable. I don’t like their sales practices at all but they’re still here. 

They are still here because it suits the parent organisation, I can pretty much guarantee that they are making huge losses. 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

£400 for an oil change that's where!

I didn't say I would give them my custom. I did once and got totally ripped off. £1000 for an injector. But then no one is forced to buy cars from them nor trade in their own cars. All I am saying is that, as others have said, paying back what that place must have cost means making money or going bust. 

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They are still here because it suits the parent organisation, I can pretty much guarantee that they are making huge losses. 

The amount of cars including very expensive ones they shift in a year is massive so not sure that’s true, perhaps you can show the figures to prove statements?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

The amount of cars including very expensive ones they shift in a year is massive so not sure that’s true, perhaps you can show the figures to prove statements?

What's your idea of massive though, the island's new car market has shrunk considerably in the past 20 years, it's less than half of what it was. You have to sell a lot of big ticket cars, even lower priced ones, to cover the costs of each franchise. To be fair, I haven't seen the registration breakdown by manufacturer for the island for a couple of years now, but I have no reason to think that the market has increased from the 900 cars from then. Jacksons share was around 500 cars at that point, with the manufacturers they represent. However, people are still purchasing quite a lot from UK dealers, so that figure will be even less. 

To put it in perspective, a medium sized UK dealer with a decent franchise will expect to sell c.1250 new cars per annum. Jacksons are not a medium sized dealer. 

Back of a fag packet calculation suggests that they need to sell 1500 new and 1500 used cars per annum, retaining an average of £2,000 par car. They are probably retaining more per unit than that at present on some franchises but certainly not enough, even with the up to say £10,000 on the few, and I mean a few, top flight cars such as Porsche. They have some very high cost franchises without a big enough market to sell into!

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What's your idea of massive though, the island's new car market has shrunk considerably in the past 20 years, it's less than half of what it was. You have to sell a lot of big ticket cars, even lower priced ones, to cover the costs of each franchise. To be fair, I haven't seen the registration breakdown by manufacturer for the island for a couple of years now, but I have no reason to think that the market has increased from the 900 cars from then. Jacksons share was around 500 cars at that point, with the manufacturers they represent. However, people are still purchasing quite a lot from UK dealers, so that figure will be even less. 

To put it in perspective, a medium sized UK dealer with a decent franchise will expect to sell c.1250 new cars per annum. Jacksons are not a medium sized dealer. 

Back of a fag packet calculation suggests that they need to sell 1500 new and 1500 used cars per annum, retaining an average of £2,000 par car. They are probably retaining more per unit than that at present on some franchises but certainly not enough, even with the up to say £10,000 on the few, and I mean a few, top flight cars such as Porsche. They have some very high cost franchises without a big enough market to sell into!

A few Porsche Taycan first service's will see them right, £1200 for new wiper blades and a pollen filter!

• Like 1