Do local shops want business?

Steady Eddie

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

What's your idea of massive though, the island's new car market has shrunk considerably in the past 20 years, it's less than half of what it was. You have to sell a lot of big ticket cars, even lower priced ones, to cover the costs of each franchise. To be fair, I haven't seen the registration breakdown by manufacturer for the island for a couple of years now, but I have no reason to think that the market has increased from the 900 cars from then. Jacksons share was around 500 cars at that point, with the manufacturers they represent. However, people are still purchasing quite a lot from UK dealers, so that figure will be even less. 

To put it in perspective, a medium sized UK dealer with a decent franchise will expect to sell c.1250 new cars per annum. Jacksons are not a medium sized dealer. 

Back of a fag packet calculation suggests that they need to sell 1500 new and 1500 used cars per annum, retaining an average of £2,000 par car. They are probably retaining more per unit than that at present on some franchises but certainly not enough, even with the up to say £10,000 on the few, and I mean a few, top flight cars such as Porsche. They have some very high cost franchises without a big enough market to sell into!

Well 8 Aston Martin at c£170k a go plus Porsche, bmw , Mercedes, wil bring big margins. The owners are not stupid & won’t run business at continually losing money 

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well 8 Aston Martin at c£170k a go plus Porsche, bmw , Mercedes, wil bring big margins. The owners are not stupid & won’t run business at continually losing money 

Yes, you'd really think so. 

I think the shortage of new vehicles and the increased margins on new and used would help, but the overheads of a business that size are phenomenal. I really wouldn't want to be the general manager, the pressures must be ridiculous.  

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, you'd really think so. 

I think the shortage of new vehicles and the increased margins on new and used would help, but the overheads of a business that size are phenomenal. I really wouldn't want to be the general manager, the pressures must be ridiculous.  

what ever is happening to the luxury cars  a lot seem to be going on the steam packet  and serviced in the UK  speaking to a former Bentley  owner , he wouldn't  let a certain local garage touch his again   , but the price of cars in the UK is a lot less than here , and  even come with Manx plates taxed and insured    all ready to go  and a saving of £ 2 or  3  grand !

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

what ever is happening to the luxury cars  a lot seem to be going on the steam packet  and serviced in the UK  speaking to a former Bentley  owner , he wouldn't  let a certain local garage touch his again   , but the price of cars in the UK is a lot less than here , and  even come with Manx plates taxed and insured    all ready to go  and a saving of £ 2 or  3  grand !

A number of local used car dealers inflate the price of used cars to enable them to make you believe that they are giving you a stunning part exchange value. UK dealers can't get away with this as they are all competitive with each other. 

The easy way to check what you should be paying is to search for the same car that you are offered locally on Autotrader UK, You will see that there will be several with similar mileages and thousands cheaper. 

Local dealers who do this tend not to show the age and mileage in their adverts to deflect any idea that you may be paying over the odds, they then grab you and talk you into a 'great PX deal' when you could probably sell your car privately for a similar amount anyway, and buy in the UK! 

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

They certainly have a reputation for overcharging, lying, incompetence and bullshitting. I hate to say this but having spent my working life in the motor industry, I have to say that I have no faith in them whatsoever. I'd like to think that they had some redeeming features, but in my experience, they are out of their depth!

once you involve a lawyer their act gets together somewhat.

• 3 months later...

It's frustrating when you're ready to purchase, and the staff isn't interested in helping you. However, I wouldn't generalize this experience to all local stores. There are many small businesses that are struggling to attract and retain customers, especially in the current tough economic climate. Try looking for another local store that sells the product you are looking for and see if you have a better experience. Since I recently started a small business, I am constantly consulting with financial experts at https://www.successionresource.com to ensure my business thrives and attracts new customers. Good luck in your search, and I am sure you will find what you need.

Edited by KayleeAdams

7 hours ago, KayleeAdams said:

It's frustrating when you're ready to purchase, and the staff isn't interested in helping you. However, I wouldn't generalize this experience to all local stores.

The family run ones are usually okay..