Weather warnings and common sense

Asthehills

What are peoples views on a weather warning every time It’s a bit cold?

It looks like we could be on for seven days or more of successive yellow or amber warnings for frost and ice.  Are they necessary, or do the constant warnings just mean people ignore them.

It’s not even that cold and I think most of us have figured out that if you can see your breathe, and the ground is shiny or white, and your car tells you it’s near or below freezing, and the weather forecast told you it was going to be cold, and you can feel it’s cold - then you need to be a bit careful.

Also, what’s with all the people on social Media whining that every single inch of every road, pavement and carpark on the island isn’t completely ice free?  Has the nanny state and all the warnings made people completely unable to take responsibility for themselves?

Finally, while I am at it.  What is the point of the stupid snowflake signs on the mountain?  Coming from Douglas you are already past the bungalow and on the drop down into Ramsey before you see one, and heading to Douglas you are already past Windy corner?  They are already the worlds most pointless signs, but have they fitted them both facing in the wrong direction?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Finally, while I am at it.  What is the point of the stupid snowflake signs on the mountain?  Coming from Douglas you are already past the bungalow and on the drop down into Ramsey before you see one, and heading to Douglas you are already past Windy corner?  They are already the worlds most pointless signs, but have they fitted them both facing in the wrong direction?

They are to let you know you made it ok despite the ice.😅

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It looks like we could be on for seven days or more of successive yellow or amber warnings for frost and ice.  Are they necessary, or do the constant warnings just mean people ignore them.

It’s not even that cold and I think most of us have figured out that if you can see your breathe, and the ground is shiny or white, and your car tells you it’s near or below freezing, and the weather forecast told you it was going to be cold, and you can feel it’s cold - then you need to be a bit careful.

Also, what’s with all the people on social Media whining that every single inch of every road, pavement and carpark on the island isn’t completely ice free?  Has the nanny state and all the warnings made people completely unable to take responsibility for themselves?

If a qualified meteorologist had a forecast of severe weather, what’s the issue with publishing it. Would you rather they keep it to themselves?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

If a qualified meteorologist had a forecast of severe weather, what’s the issue with publishing it. Would you rather they keep it to themselves?  

Is just below freezing “severe weather “ these days?

Its looking like 7 or more successive days now and could well be 30 plus “warnings” in the next three or four months!

-15 and a foot of snow that might actually keep people in their house for a few day then yes, put a warning out, but a bit of frost and ice?  Really?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

When I was young you would wake up and there was ice on the inside of the windows and we would get dressed and walk 50 miles to school, it was uphill both ways. We didn't have weather warnings in those days and I turned out just fine. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Despite all the warnings it’s great to see IOM airport simply couldn’t be arsed de icing anything this morning so the early morning flights could take off. Even the two roundabouts into the airport clearly hadn’t been gritted at 8AM. 

more evidence as to why the OP started the thread , if government don't act upon their own warnings why should any body else ,a  bit like lockdown ' working' parties i guess,

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

more evidence as to why the OP started the thread , if government don't act upon their own warnings why should any body else ,a  bit like lockdown ' working' parties i guess,

It’s just more proof of a broken island where it seems nobody in the public sector wants to work anymore. Got up early to take someone to a flight. The online arrivals and departure website hasn’t been working all day so I then had to go in to a third party website to see if the flights were delayed or not before I set off as no info published by Ronaldsway. Drove to the airport and found the roundabouts were still really slippy as they hadn’t been gritted despite it being a main route and the flight is now over an hour delayed as the runways hadn’t been de-lced. It’s like living in a third world country all of a sudden. It seems all the want to do is ‘warn’ us about stuff on social media while doing precisely f**k all about anything. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The whole yellow, amber and red thing feeds into the 'climate emergency' propoganda. As someone wrote if no-one in highways bothers to sort it then it isn't that bad.
Instead they'll do nothing and shut the mountian road for a few days.

It's not enough to say it's going to be icy on the pavements or there is a risk of black ice... nope it has to be a 'yellow warning'. No doubt eventually insurers will cotton on and decline claims on the basis the area was under a waether warning at the time of the accident. Much like flood zones struggle. 

As for the snowflake signs 😁 they are probably intended to warn you the twisty downhill section ahead might be slippery so mind your speed and braking. However, as is always the way, no-one in the government can even be arsed to put a little blurb or reminder in the Courier as to the purpose of them. So they may indeed be the wrong way round. It's the DoI who brought us the red zebra crossing so who knows.